San Diego People, Lil Help Please!

In my capacity as a member of the ACS Advisory Council for Rural Surgery I may get asked to chair what is our Monday Rural Surgery dinner during the upcoming ACS Clinical Congress this October. Date for dinner is fixed: Monday, October 23.

Traditionally this is done at an Italian Restaurant and I need a place with a private room that seats 100 or so comfortably. We try to keep per head cost considerably less than $100 and dinner doesn’t have to include booze, but it’s great if some kind of beer/wine is part of the festivities. Last two were at Harry Carey’s in Chicago and Carmine’s in D.C., so super fine cuisine isn’t necessary. Room, good food and lots of it, decent chairs, sound system and privacy are paramount. Event is usually 6-ish to say 10:30 at night.

Suggestions? Closer to convention center is a bonus. Stay Italian if you can. TIA.

Might be too low end for you, but The Old Spaghetti Factory could probably do it. Low cost, about as close as you can get to convention center. Otherwise, I’d try talking to your hotel concierge and see what they suggest.

Baci’s has a nice private room, good food and wine but is North of downtown.

Realistic uber from Gaslight District/Petco would be?

Funny, that’s where we had my FIL’s 80th bday dinner several years ago. But I think too far away for Glenn’s purpose, with ~100 people having to get taxi/uber at the same time (15-20min drive).

Glenn, if you go to google maps and search san diego italian restaurants, several pop up near the convention center. I think you’ll have to call those few and see if they can handle your group.

If I wanted to do that I would not have started this thread!

LOL. OK, tomorrow I want you to give your nurse the scalpel and have her do all the work for you neener

Hopefully someone with greater knowledge of the area will reply here. If not, you may just have to pick up that phone [cheers.gif]

I remain confident I’ll get help here.

C’mon southland folks, in 8 days this responsibility may get dropped in my lap. Baci looks great and seems under ten miles from convention Center but I assume going N at dinner time would suck even on a Monday.

Glenn, here are 2 very good Italian restaurants in the Gaslamp/East Village. Bice is great and prices are more than reasonable. Botega Americano is also very good, but at a higher price point, and in East Village, so not exactly Gaslamp.

Here’s a link to their site and click on Group Dining Menu. Paolo is manager/server who knows his stuff on food and wine, and he is the best. And Bice is like 5 minutes walking distance from the Convention Center.

Glenn,
There are lots of Italian restaurants in downtown San Diego. Unfortunately I don’t know of any that have large enough private dining facilities but I am sure there are some.

Cucina Urbana is excellent, but don’t think it has a private room.