Vancouver

be there this spring during spot prawn season.

any tips on places to go. casual. markets. dim sum.

nothing too fancy…teenagers in tow

This is 6 years old but many of these places are still good.

I bet Fanny Bay will have them fannybayoysters.com

for Dim Sum, I like Chef Tony Seafood Google Maps

Maenam for Thai, Vij’s for Indian is the classic.

tyvm

keep em coming

bao bei looks really good

the granville island public market?

yeah, hit the market for sure. fun to take one of the water taxis to it. I’m so-so on bao bei. better to get the real thing (depending on what you have access to regularly. maybe you live in Hong Kong).

Did you catch this article on Vancouver from the NY Times a few days ago? https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/travel/vancouver-british-columbia-canada-unfolding-story-culture.html

Kirin for dim sum. Many locations pick one near you.

thanks

You’re welcome.

Had an excellent meal at Maenam a few weeks ago.
Had a very good meal at Pidgin a year or two ago.

There are a number of prior Vancouver threads. Just search on “Vancouver” here.

Check out Canada's 100 Best Restaurants 2017 Regional

The best Dim Sum I’ve ever had was Chef Tony in Richmond, right off No. 3 Road.

I also really enjoyed Bauhaus which is modern, upscale German.

Wildebeest, excellent as always.

Really fantastic meal at Kisso Tanto on my last trip. abattoir and Bauhaus were good but not as good as in the past.

Dr. Klafter. Good to see you here!

It looks like Vancouver may be in our plans next summer, so I’d be interested in your experiences.

Hope you are well (teenagers and all).

tw

There are some ok places listed in those links but the truly interesting places in Vancouver rarely get much publicity. The rents in the city core have gotten so insane, chef owned places are now in the less desirable areas. A good example are:

Tempranillo. A new Spanish tapas joint with excellent food. The room is small but the night we went there everything was great. $25 corkage. Gastown but in the sketchy portion.

Osteria Savio Volpe. Great farm to table Italian. $30 corkage. Kingsway.

Bistro Wagon Rouge. Really good French Bistro food in an unusual room on Pender Street.

McKenzie Room. Well prepared farm to table in the heart of the worst slum in North America.

David: Those are great recommendations and neighborhoods do not bother me. I am curious, however, if any of those places are kid friendly. I will be there with grandkids (9 & 11) next year.
Thanks!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Marshall. I would say every restaurant in Vancouver welcome children. Tempranillo has a lot of bar stools, so that may be sketchy. Otherwise yes, bring your own coloring books and gameboys.

Thanks David. The kids aren’t the most adventurous (yet), but they have to at least “try” things. Otherwise, they are great in restaurants and do very well with conversations and stories. Luckily no gameboys needed! flirtysmile. This will be our first time in Vancouver with a group as in the past we were on our own. grouphug

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Forage was great last night, had mushrooms, bison carpaccio, bison steak, gnocchi, halibut, and two desserts, and a great BC Gruner and okanagan valley Grenache which was the highlight. Very cool space and nice concept. L’abbatoir tonight.

L’abattoir was fantastic. Scallops, duck and the bread basket were delicious. Fun area too.