Anyone tried d'Artagnan green circle chicken?

I’m splitting an order with someone and was curious if anyone else had tried them yet.

Make them frequently and like them very much.

Pricey chickens. Super special?

Their schtick is that feeding them on vegetable peelings rather than exclusively grain gives them much better flavor - more similar to the chickens my parents ate back in the day. It’s certainly not impossible or even unlikely (there are lots of examples where meat tastes differently depending on what the animal ate) but I was curious if anyone had experience that proved or disproved the claim.

Thanks Greg! That’s what I was hoping to hear.

I’m looking forward to giving them a try.

Isn’t breed more important than feed?

Both have influence. The original birds in the feeding experiment were a heritage cross breed but they don’t make that claim on the website so I don’t know if it’s still the case.

had at sauvage in brooklyn recently. fantastic; very meaty with a deep flavor. i would salt a few days in advance and just hang in the fridge, then roast at very high heat. please post back after you’ve had, i’d be interested in getting a few. violet hill has been my reference domestic chicken, but they’re often too big for me.

Since the minimum order is 6 chickens and I’m getting 3 my intention is to do the Zuni prep on one for a whole roast chicken (basically what you suggest), pan roast half of another the first night, and freeze the other 1.5 chickens. I’ve been emptying out my freezer in preparation.

$5/lb at Fairway - no minimum. Had them for a while then stopped and now back. Been doing simple spatchcock roast. Tender, moist and tasty.

I read that these birds are a cooperative deal between D’Artagnan and top NYC restaurants. They are feed the leftover veggies and scraps from the restaurant kitchens.

interesting…which fairway?

Westbury - Long Island. Just slipped one in the oven [highfive.gif]

That was the original trial run. Now that the chickens are available at retail they no longer make claims for the source of the vegetable peelings, etc. My guess is that they are sourced more locally.

Pan roasted first run was very good. Unfortunately Arnold came home that day with a stomach bug so he wasn’t able to try it :frowning:

Pretty good sale until tomorrow night on these suckers and many others on d’Artagnan’s website

And now they are offering the green circle heritage birds as well (albeit at an even higher price):

Jay,
The Green Circle Heritage Birds are the Brune Landaise. Previously only available wholesale.They are 180 days old and taste great the breast is a normal size and in proportion to the rest of the bird unlike supermarket birds. I bought them wholesale previously though a connection.

Sigh, I may have to bite the bullet and buy some.

The Brune Landaise from D’Artagnan are amazing.

I had some green circle chicken last night at Quince in San Francisco. Really tasty.