Aspen, CO dining last week

When searching out new dining ideas for our trip, I ran across this fine stop, Acquolina, diagonally across from the Hotel Jerome.

Seeing that the reviews were well above average, I checked the menu, and then the wine, and then the spirits. And found the treasure trove beyond imagining— between cocktails, beer, spirits and wine, they have over 2,100 choices. When I finished scraping my jaw off the floor, I made a reservation.

When we arrived this past Thursday, my buddy and I were both kind of wiped from skiing and aprés-ski festivities, so we both had just a single spirit, Highland Park 18 for him, Diplomatica Single Vintage 2000 for me, and a glass of red. I had ordered a glass of Occhipinti, but finding overwhelming brett, the waiter subbed a glass of 2012 Mauro Molina Barolo that was very nice.

But equal to the task was the food—

Jamon Mista—

—followed by an amazing Roasted Cauliflower soup— it had the complexity of a fine aged Bordeaux. I mentioned this to the waiter, and he informed me that in addition to the featured veg, there were other vegetables rounding out the flavor of the puree— asparagus, carrots, celery and roasted tomato.

And then, craving both shrimp and risotto— Risotto Gambero with zucchini, which was underwhelming at first, but a touch of S&P, and a blast of grated Parmesan (I know, the horror), filled out the dish.

Dessert would’ve created a Mr. Creosote episode.

But the list of single malts, bourbons, tequilas and everything else would make the visit intriguing enough for most Berserkers!

Honorable mention goes to the prior evening’s perfectly prepared lamb shank accompanied by an excellent sagrantino (can’t remember which) at the always reliable Mezzaluna.

Schlomo’s Deli in his new space at the Ajax Gondola base (at 2PM on Saturday, quite the zoo) did well with their non-traditional pastrami (lightly grilled on lightly grilled marble rye) with a horseradish brown mustard on the side.

Weak mention to sushi at Kenichi— I understand the food cost for a high-mountain sushi joint, but despite the admitted quality, with these prices, the portions were ridiculously tiny.

As good as all of the above were, at Annette’s Mountain Bakery on the mall, I grabbed a butterscotch-pecan-coconut cookie— OMG— 6’ diameter, ¾" thick, with the melted and re-hardened butterscotch creating the crispest, most delicious cookie I ever had.

The skiing was good, too. newhere