What are you smoking today?

Remember, this is Epicurean Exploits, not Drug Talk.

I smoked a whole pork shoulder and a spice rubbed corned beef (hence pastrami) in the Big Green Egg last night over a cherrywood log and lump coals. 9 hours and the temp of the BGE was a perfect 210 when I got up this morning. Double wrapped both and threw them into a slow oven to melt out the fat. Just tried the pastrami after three hours in the oven. A tiny bit too salty but otherwise excellent. Store bought corned beef. I probably should have soaked it before rubbing it in. The pork shoulder is still slowly making its way north to 205 degrees.I will leave it for 2-3 hours once it gets there.

3 racks of St. Louis ribs, whole turkey and some kielbasa.

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

Beautiful work!

Dang!

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Pall Mall Red 100’s :wink:

Actually, my brother lived with me after he moved back to town from Arizona. He would go out almost every weekend, but also had to satisfy a familial need for smoked pork shoulder or butt.

He’d trim and rub down the meat with spices, start the smoker, and leave the house​ around midnight, with the intention of allowing the pig to cook overnight. Well, you can’t leave a hardwood charcoal fire unattended (for safety reasons as well as the fact that lump hardwood charcoal burns hot and fast). I always ended up staying up until about five o’clock in the morning, keeping the fire going and adding wet wood chips (old Tabasco barrels, chopped up, sold locally) until he returned from an evening of debauchery.

I would fuss at him for ditching the food, but I enjoyed the final product that night!

Damn I was going to review some of the local weed here in Colorado.

I know it’s a sacrilege but even though we own a smoker, we don’t have the time to do it right, so Carrie cheats. She buys a turkey breast, puts it in a large ziplock bag with commercial liquid smoke and keeps it in the refrigerator for two days. She puts the breast in a covered baking dish with fresh diluted liquid smoke and bakes for about an hour an a half. (supposed to cook it an hour and forty-five minutes). Once it is cooled enough, she slices the breast and puts a meal sized portion in a three compartment microwave dinner tray. Sweet corn and mashed potatoes go in the other two trays and into the refrigerator at work. Lunch for two each, cooked in the microwave along with some gravy. The breast is smokey, juicy and tender. It’s also better than every attempt I’ve made at smoking anything. I’m cooking challenged.

Smoked a rolled, boneless lamb leg on the big Green Egg at about 250 to 120F over 3h, let it rest, then hard reverse sear.

Was marinated in a ssamjang/soy/garlic marinade and served as a Bo Ssam, with lettuce wraps, ginger-scallion sauce and a ssamjang-based dipping sauce, Momofuku style.

Funny, people ask me this all the time but I don’t own a smoker.

8lb. pork shoulder on the BGE as I type. About another 3-4 hours…

JD

IMG_3304.JPG
Boneless pork shoulders on the BGE on Friday.
Had to finish in the oven after 10 hours on the grill and only hitting 187 deg.

Mel, that’s some beautiful pig right there. :slight_smile:

Thanks! and tasty too!

Not tonight, but in a week these bellies will get apple wood smoke to make bacon.
IMG_1234.JPG

Hot smoked wild salmon.
IMG_1236.JPG

Costco comes thru with whole brisket - FINALLY!!
IMG_5551.JPG

Dude, Costco has the whole packer briskets frequently. You must’ve had bad luck missing out on them on previous trips.

dan is asian, small eyes, maybe miss. ;D

A dozen turkey breasts on the Ranch Kettle using some Central Texas Post Oak D.O.C.G.
IMG_1246.JPG