Shun steak knives, concern about knife on plate damage

I’m considering getting a set of Shun steak knives. My concern is the contact they will have with the plate and damage caused by the plate. I guess it doesn’t matter if it is Shun or not. Is it worth spending “big bucks” for something like this?

Thanks.

Mark,

I don’t know how expensive these are, but any decent knife can cut a piece of meat, so buying expensive knives isn’t directly related to their function. There’s nothing wrong with buying an expensive item because it pleases you; this is, after all, an internet forum principally dedicated to expensive consumables.

Ceramic is harder than meat, however, and any knife edge can be dulled over time by cutting onto a hard surface (some knife sharpeners are ceramic, as are, in fact, some knives.) If Shun knives feature a harder than average steel then they’ll stand up better than knives made from softer steels.

Ditto to what Frank said.

All knives will need sharpening with use. Some more often than others. I have a set of Shun steak knives and we use them daily. They require sharpening about every 12-18 months. Keep in mind that slicing through tender items such as cooked foods doesn’t require them to be kept with a razor’s edge so that’s why we can go 12+ months. We really like ours and the slicing ability stands out when eat at other homes where they don’t take their steak knives as serious. But, like Frank said, you don’t have to pay for Shun if you just want a high quality knife that can be kept sharp for a long time.

Steak knives are meant to be used. They get used on plates which dull them. It’s just part of the routine - like your car gets dirty with use.

Thanks guys. The comments make sense.

I like Steak knives you can throw in the dishwasher. It is a pain to wash even more knives. I have some all stainless Henkels with a serrated edge that look nice and I can put in dishwasher.

George

I can’t think of a time when I’ve needed a really sharp steak knife. If I ever overcook a protein that badly, I feed it to the dog.

We have the same, and I have no desire for something “better.” These get used a few times a week, thrown in the dishwasher every time, taken on picnics, even used opening boxes every now and then when I’m too lazy to get a box cutter. I’ve never considered sharpening them, and they work just fine on everything that comes from our kitchen. With so many knives that need special attention, it’s nice to have a set I can beat up.

I own the Shun steak knives.
They are terrific!
Shun will sharpen then for free if they get dull.
Mine are fine after 3 years.
I don’t mind the cleaning.
A quick soap rinse and dry.

Oh Ken, you are not helping my bank account:). Which ones do you have?

I have a whole set 13 pieces and wood block.
Kaji style. I purchased at Williams Sonoma at a discount.
Very happy with my purchase!