Big favor to ask of Chicago people

My elderly parents have occasional cravings for something simple. It is a strawberry-filled yellow layer cake, with whipped-cream (NOT butter cream) frosting.

We used to buy them at Phillips Bakery, on Belmont Avenue, but that wonderful place closed several years ago. Would any Chicagoans kindly recommend another bakery, ideally one which might deliver to the Far North Side? Price is no object. Thank you.

Victor, this sounds similar to the types of cakes they sell in Chinatown; am I on the right track?

Almost, as the Chinatown ones often lack strawberry filling, and tend to be frosted with a random mix of whipped cream and butter cream (yech).

Check with either Lutz or Dinkel’s. Both in the Lincoln Square/Ravenswood area (northside). Long time German bakeries. They might, or can tell you who does.

Call Tag’s in Evanston
I’m sure they could make that
http://evanstonbakery.com/cakes/

Good ideas. Thank you.

At their recent 60th Anniversary brunch, one such cake was THE big hit. However, I am hesitant to ask our yacht club, where we threw the event, for the name of the bakery, as businesses can be protective about their vendors.

Given the advance ages of my parents, nobody is going to say that extra dessert will harm their health. [snort.gif]

A wise man once said “when someone chooses not to negotiate, one is quietly negotiating away everything.” Sounds to me like you’re refusing to negotiate with the yacht club, when the worst that can happen is that they say “no”.

Bingo, I wouldn’t hesitate for an instant to call the club and ask them where they got the cake. I assume you arranged the brunch, just call the person you made the arrangements with, praise the heck out of their service, and ask for a favor, where they got that wonderful cake. Schmooze, man, schmooze :slight_smile:

neener

Hesitate negotiating, yes. Avoid negotiating, no.
I will ask our club, if no alternatives. So far, everybody has been most helpful. Indeed, Tags Bakery just told me that it can make and deliver such cakes.

Did you tell them “price is no object”? FYI, that’s not a great negotiating starter neener

No.

Glad to hear Tag’s came thru. Given your long time support of the CYC I’m sure they would tell you where they got the cake your parents enjoyed at their party.

I am e-mailing Tags with specifications. This will be perfect timing for St. Valentine’s Day. Thank you.

Someone has hacked Victor’s account.

Great news.

A bit OT, but I’ve always appreciated the posts where you talk about your parents. It is obvious that you’re a loving son and I think that’s wonderful.

This made me laugh out loud enough on the plane such that I got some weird looks. Well done.

Laughed out loud too…

No cake for any of you three!

His Confucian upbringing makes him irrational towards elders. neener

OK, you get not cake…but a feather-dusting.