Colonna pods for Nespresso - AMAZING!!!

One of my employees - a millennial foodie - introduced me to these when I was last in IL, and I was beyond skeptical, as every single Nespresso pod I’ve had tastes nasty to me ever since I started on the gourmet coffee binge. I can’t stand any coffee anymore (thanks, you all) that isn’t some micro-roaster, very light roast, and I’ve spent far too much money on coffee as a result (sounds familiar, with wine and food, thanks to this group!). I used to get Ruby, got some Millcreek, and a bunch of George Howell, then just settled into MistoBox to get some variety.

Anyway, Evan shows me these Colonna pods, which ship from the UK, and he said he’s been following this guy’s story for a while now, and was so excited about these pods. They are INCREDIBLE! They actually taste like micro-roasted gourmet coffee, not that garbage Nespresso puts out! I immediately started a subscription and so far have had two versions of the ‘Genre 2’, rather than shelling out for the Rare capsules.

Anyway, I really, REALLY wanted to share with any of you who still have a Nespresso machine but actually want GREAT coffee, as I haven’t used my Nespresso for about 2 years before these.

I’m pimping these HARD because I want the guy to succeed, so I can keep buying these pods, as it’s hella easier to make a Nespresso cup than grinding beans and doing a pour-over. They are cheaper than Nespresso, too, unless you get the Rare. http://www.colonnacoffee.com

Anybody else try these yet?

Thanks, I ordered some for the office.

They are freakin awesome

I just placed a mixed order for 120 pods. Looking forward to trying these out. Thanks for the tip!

Dammit Todd… I’d been staying away from this because the quality was generally poor.

Out of curiosity - it looks like there are two types of Nepresso machines with different capsule shapes?

you mean the new Vertuo line? I don’t have those, but it appears he only does the ‘original’ shape. I’d buy a Vertuo machine if he starts making those, as you can do a cup of coffee, not these little shots. Happy to do these shots, but first thing in the morning I like a big cup of coffee, so typically I’ll do one big cup via pour-over then 1 or 2 of these shots throughout the day. I’m doing the short ones, as I like it with a little milk (as he recommends)

We stopped buying the Nespresso capsules because they were getting so expensive. We figured we were dropping almost $2000 year and you know that could be spent on wine instead.
In place we found these at almost half the price. The flavors are as good or better than the original Nepresso and they won’t clog the machine like some other brands. Free shipping too at a reasonable order quantity.

I’ve never found the original Nespresso to be any good - tastes like commercial grocery store coffee to me, even the more expensive rare stuff they put out. It’s just ‘stale’ to me, I guess. Definitely expensive if you do all Nespresso, but so is really good coffee beans!

Thanks Todd. I’ve been thinking about getting a Nespresso for the office. This might tip the scale.

We have a machine (the Citiz, I think it’s called). We use it because it’s quick and convenient, don’t have to mess with having beans, grinding them, packing, cleaning, etc. You won’t get the quality of a high end espresso machine or barista, but it’s acceptable for just having a coffee in the morning. I never drink straight espresso from this machine, it’s just not at the quality level I expect (but then I almost never drink straight espresso anyway, I always order at least a macchiatto or gibralter). So I always top with milk, which masks the bitterness enough to make it acceptable.

Maybe this new brand of pods would make a difference, though I think there are other important variables, particularly temperature, which you can’t control with Nespresso. For me, it’s a convenience thing - throw in a pod, hit the button, drink coffee. If that convenience has value to you, I think you would like Nespresso. You can go into one of their stores and ask them to make you a couple of coffees, they’ll happily do that.

Nespresso had their stuff on sale end of last year into January. Have had this machine for a few years, but when they put it on sale for 50% off, with a $20 credit toward pods, I bought a backup:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/nespresso-citiz-espresso-maker-16/?pkey=celectrics-nespresso%7Celectrics-nespresso-original&&celectrics-nespresso|electrics-nespresso-original

Get on their email list, and eventually you’ll see a good discount.

I know someone who works at a Williams Sonoma and she said they get Nepresso machines back all the time from folks trying to run the off brand capsules. So buyer beware. I used the Nepresso brand and the Gourmesso brand without any issues. There is one company out of NY, HiLine Coffee that has caused some issues according to online reviews. FYI.

Exactly - convenience is the main draw of Nespresso, but the coffee sucks - that’s why you have to try this Colonna stuff, as it’s actually really high end quality coffee. Game-changer for me.

If anyone has a source for Vertuo line pods, please let me know. It appears the two listed resources are just for the original pods.

I personally like the capsule espresso, but I have tasted through probably 20 - 25 flavors and settled on 3 that we really like.

I’m giving it a try. Once you factor in exchange rate and shipping, seems about a wash on price (I have 80 in my cart). Can’t remember if we pay tax on the pods here. Either way, if the quality is better, that’s worth it.

How many have you run now? Are you confident these are compatible, and won’t hurt the machine? (really, it’s a little hard to understand how a pod could damage the machine, heck you’re supposed to run without any pod at all to clean).

The pods apparently get jammed inside. Not saying from these guys, but that’s what is in some online reviews of others.

I’ve gone through 4 sleeves so far, no problems, but I have an older Nespresso machine, the Essenza

In fact, I’m gonna go make one right now!

Interesting. it’s a pretty simple mechanism - pod slips down, captured by the sides, then once it’s engaged with the prongs, to release it gets pulled back a little, and falls down into the tray. Once or twice I’ve had one get stuck, and just pushed it out. So even if there is a slight mismatch of a 3rd party pod, I’d think it would be easy to get it released.

I’ve read the door doesn’t open so you can’t even access the stuck capsule. No first hand info. I’ve never had an issue.

Thanks Todd! I use my machine in the AM when I don’t want to do pour overs or use my Technovorm. This coffee sounds great. Order in.