Aged balsamic vinegar at Zingerman's

Zingerman’s has some great prices on balsamic vinegar right now. Has anyone tried their aged non-tradizionale line?

https://www.zingermans.com/Category.aspx?Category=Balsamic%20Blowout

Haven’t tried it but thanks for the tip, Betty; I should probably get back into the Zingeman’s habit, see what they have online. I live in one of the deli deserts of America.

Sure thing. I spoke with their CS yesterday and I am impressed by the level of service. So far, so good.

I ordered the 30-year non-tradizionale and splurged on the 50-year tradizionale. It was hard to pass on the 30-year since that’s not much more than what I pay for a 12-year condimento from Leonardi. The condimento is like crack for brussel sprouts so I’m looking forward to trying these new bottles with Parmesan.

Will report back when I get them.

FYI, that’s listed as a “30 Year Anniversary Balsamic,” not as 30-year-old vinegar.

Yep, you’re right. Unfortunately my order arrived and now I have two bottles of 30th anniversary vinegar. Oh well.

Let us know how it is!

According to the customer service rep at Zingerman’s, the 30th anniversary vinegar is a blend of various aged vinegars up to 50 years old. On the bottle it clearly states “condimento” and is made from cooked grape must & wine vinegar.

I compared it to two other condimento balsamics: Acetaia la Bonissima’s Leopardi, 250 mL for €35.50, and Leonardi’s gold seal, 250 mL for $25.

The Acetaia la Bonissima was the thinnest vinegar and tasted the flattest as well. It’s sugary on the tongue and lacking a good tang. If you like this style, you’re better off with Trader Joe’s Balsamic Glaze at $2.99 for 250 mL.

The Leonardi Gold Seal is still my daily go-to vinegar. It’s thicker than the Acetaia la Bonissima but thinner than the La Vecchia Dispensa (Zingerman’s). Good balance of sweet with the tang of vinegar.

The La Vecchia Dispensa (Zingerman’s) was my favorite. It starts off sweet, then hits you with back notes of sour fruits and acidic bite, in a refreshing way. I don’t think it’s twice as good as the Leonardi to warrant paying over twice as much (sale price $25 for 100 mL). The 30th anniversary balsamic is sold out but they’ll take back orders by phone and honor any sale price on balsamics.