Beefsteak

Has anyone here been to a Beefsteak before? I’m heading to my first this weekend and looking forward to it. Looks like fun.

No, but I would love to some day. After appropriate preparation and training! [snort.gif]

No. But I very much look forward to hearing your account!

I had a fun time at the Chicago Beefsteak on saturday night. For those who are unfamiliar with what a Beefsteak is, I’ll explain. Apparently these male only banquets originated in NYC over 100 years ago. Men would eat large quanties of beef with their hands and drink large quantities of beer. They’d wear aprons to wipe their hands and mouths.

Fast forward to present day and these banquets are enjoying a mild resurgence. The dress was formal so the night is a bunch of dudes wearing suits covered in aprons eating meat. It was a testosterone filled event. It was shocking how fast the meat would disappear when it came out. There was lots of banging on the tables, grunting and yelling. Lots of fun. I’m thinking this theme would make for a decent offline. Just stand around a grill, eat meat and drink wine until you can hold no more.

The website just in case anyone is interested:

An old article explaining the origins:

That looks excellent!

Sounds like a Flannery Fest except for the suits, aprons, and the fact that women aren’t allowed. Oh, and wine, not beer. Other than that, exactly the same!

And here I thought that you were talking about Jose Andres’ vegetable-focused restaurant! http://beefsteakveggies.com/

Not so much. I’m pretty sure “bread” was the only vegetable I saw.

Indeed. Or any random Saturday night here in DFW.

This doesn’t sound like anything I’d be interested in.

Riverpark in NYC is hosting a BEEFSTEAK on Friday Feb 24th.
Both men and women are welcome and cutlery is optional. I love NY.

If you read the article I posted above (written in the 1930s), the writer laments that women were involved because all of a sudden they had cutlery and salads. I find the whole thing kind of amusing. The irony of attending an all male banquet on Saturday was not lost on me.