Jambon Persillé

Anyone here ever made it? If yes, favorite recipe? Tips for the novice? What kind of ham do you use?

I’m trying to pull this off to take to a tasting next week of all 10 Beaujolais Crus.

TIA.

loved it in Burgundy! Never made it.

From Edward Behr’s “The Food and Wine of France,” for what it’s worth. Enjoying the book and chased this down a couple of weeks back after reading it. -

"The real parent of today’s jambon persille might be a homier version, “obligatory for Easter.” for which a recipe appears in the little Burgundy volume published in 1923, of Curnonsky and Rouff’s regional series La France Gastronomique. A dry-cured ham is soaked, cooked in water (which is changed after an hour to get rid of salt), and the meat is crushed with a fork. It is pressed into a saladier and the rich cooking liquid, mixed with parsley, white wine, and a spoonful of vinegar, is poured over. After all that, the salty meat is surely succulent. . .

For his jambon persille, Christian Sabatier brines his own pork, lightly. These demi-sel, or “half-salt.” hams used to require a week or ten days in brine, but Sabatier injects the brine, an honest, efficient technique, and the meat is ready in twenty-four to forty-eight hour. He doesn’t smoke this mild ham; smoked ham is something else. Like other charcutiers, for jambon persille Sabatier combines the drier meat of the ham, meaning the rear leg, with the more marbled and moist shoulder, brined in the same war.

The hams and shoulders cook together slowly all night in a bouillon of water, white wine, carrots, onion, bay leaf, clove - “everything needed to supply the seasoning” - along with calves’ feet and extra pork skins for gelatin. Afterward, Sabatier separates the meat into its natural small sections, discarding the bones. He layers the meat with lots of chopped raw parsley mixed with some finely chopped garlic and a little vinegar. The key with the garlic, he said, is restraint. He moistens everything with the rich broth from cooking, and places the long-cooked, tender skin on top, pressing the jambon persille a little and chilling it."

Here’s a similar style (saladier) that I picked up a couple of weeks ago -
Jambon.jpg

I don’t have a recipe for Jambon Persillé.
When I look for a recipe for a dish I haven’t made I search google images and click on the images that appeal to me- frequently they come with recipes.

I like this ^ image
and here is the recipe

Here’s another good picture

And recipe

That looks so good…

Here’s another good picture but Mme Penaud won’t share the recipe

Thanks all.
But it looks like I’ll be flying at least semi-blind.
Nothing ventured…
I’ll report back–and get Don Cornutt to post pictures.

Here’s the recipe I followed, substituting tarragon for thyme: Jambon Persillé Recipe - NYT Cooking

Pretty good result for a greenhorn.

Mmmmmm … Ham sticks