Lima + CDMX?

First time to Lima - I have a dinner booking at Astrid Y Gaston and a lunch booking at Maido; any other suggestions? (Central has no availability).

Last time to Mexico City tried many of the spots that make English-language webpages - Quintonil, Biko, Maximo Bistrot, Rosetta. Will return to Quintonil this trip for dinner and try Contramar for lunch. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

this is a friend’s advice but make sure you talk to someone that’s eaten at Maido that you trust. I’ve heard some conflicting reports including they served liquid nitrogen to someone without telling them to wait until it stopped boiling to consume.

Doug: We had amazing dinners at Central and Maido. The dishes were gorgeous to look at and amazing to eat. They also had a very fair wine list and wonderful, friendly service. Naturally, you should stick to South American wines. This brings me to Astrid Y Gaston. As with any restaurant, your experience might be different but we found it to be pretentious and stuffy. In addition, the wine list was absurd, and they had virtually no South American wines! The sommelier was not helpful, borderline arrogant, and was rather indignant when I asked about South American wines. He suggested a terribly overpriced “minor” white burgundy at around $500! I do not feel this was a “tourist” issue as virtually no one was drinking wine! The food was very good although not at the level of the previously mentioned restaurants. I think it is resting a bit on its reputation. I hate to be a “downer” but I am trying to be honest. Hopefully, your experience will be much better. FWIW, keep trying to get into Central…hopefully, they will have a cancellation and can seat you.

Cheers! [berserker.gif]
Marshall

Thx, Marshall.

Funny your wine story about Astrid Y Gaston. I asked if they could email me their wine list a few days ago…they said it was not available but their sommelier would be happy to help at the restaurant.

If the wine service is still as egregious I may just drink piscos or something bubbly…like Inca Kola!

Not a bad idea…We ended up nursing one bottle and then moving on! While in Lima try a pisco with coca infusion…Interesting!

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif

FWIW, Astrid y Gastón had refreshing and gorgeous cocktails when I visited in mid-2016. Give one (or three) a try if you can’t find wine that suits your tastes.

Thanks, Bejan. How was the food? Any other places you suggest I look at?

I’m trying to get a reservation at Chez Wong for a lunch now…looks kind of interesting.

I enjoyed the food a lot. It wasn’t mind blowing, but it was nice having an elegant, approachable meal after eating the river snails, algae balls, clay, etc. at Central.

The ceviche and the guinea pig tacos from Astrid y Gastón stick out in my mind as some of my favorites. I did a lunch with around 10 courses, so it might be even better during dinner service. If you’re in Lima, I recommend it. When you’re finished, stop by Tanta across the street for some good chocolate bars to take home.

If you haven’t already, I suggest emailing Central’s management to see if they can get you in. When we went, our server said that’s more effective than arranging reservations through the website. It was a really interesting meal, so do what you can to snag a table.

I was only in town for two days, so those were the only notable things I ate.

Lima: just eat ceviche all the time…it is amazing there. Good meal at Lima 27, nice ceviche brunch at El Muelle by the beach in Barranco, very nice dinner at Astrid Y Gaston (and drank a cheap and adequate Peruvian rose from Syrah grapes), very underwhelming dinner at Maido (Nikkei food is bad fusion), great coffee at Bisetti, an almost great meal at Rafael, and amazing sandwiches at Sangucheria El Chinito. Traffic sucks, though, and the humidity is wet-sauna high.

Mexico City: another awesome meal at Quintonil, great fish at Contramar and Zanaya, delicious tacos everywhere, particularly at El Califa, interesting food stuff of many kinds at Mercado Roma, quite reasonable Italian food at Cipriani, and god the good times are cheap there.