Horseradish Sauce

I’ve been making the same simple horseradish sauce for 10 years now and, while I love it, I am interested in trying some other options. My standard recipe has been a cup of sour cream, a couple tablespoons of fresh or prepared horseradish, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, a pinch of salt, and plenty of fresh cracked black pepper. With this year’s Christmas Prime Rib, I’m also going to serve the version from The Food Lab cookbook made from homemade creme fraiche.
What are your favorite preparations for horseradish sauce?

Reading with interest.

Are you talking about this recipe?

I didn’t see one in the Food Lab cookbook

From Ina Garten, going to try it, never used bwfore:

1 1/2 cups good mayonnaise
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/sunday-rib-roast-recipe.html?oc=linkback

that’s not enough horseradish imo

Think you’re right. This is more than I need, so may reduce mayo some and double the horseradish.

I just made this recipe - will see how it is tomorrow - I have a feeling the extra bit of horseradish I added will juice it up a bit and be a bit too warm for some of the guests…

My go to with prime rib:

1 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup prepared horseradish (refrigerated/not shelf stable)
4 t dijon mustard
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 t sugar
pepper to taste

Page 640. Just made it. It’s pretty good

Thanks! Crazy that searching for the term horseradish yields nothing on the Kindle version.

I thought it turned out pretty good. About half of my guests preferred this version and half preferred the old version.
I’m going to try some more of the other recipes mentioned above. Thanks everyone.

I use the recipe from the original Silver Palate cookbook:

Horseradish Cream Sauce
This makes 2 cups of sauce. The recipe can easily be halved.

3/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup prepared horseradish, drained
2 T. Dijon mustard
Pinch of sugar (optional)
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Whip cream in bowl until it forms soft peaks. Combine mayonnaise, horseradish, and mustard in another bowl. Fold in whipped cream. Add sugar, salt and pepper. Stir well, and transfer to serving bowl.

Love that cookbook. The 72 Market Street meatloaf is a rockstar recipe.
We make our horsey sauce similar to this. We use sour cream instead of mayo and opt against the sugar. I add just a dash of Worcesteshire.
It was a big hit AGAIN. We only use 1/3 cup of horsey as some people like it mild. We put a small bowl of straight prepared horsey for anyone that wants to kick it up.

Though we didn’t do it this year, sometimes we make a Gorgonzola sauce as well.

Glenn, I highly recommend Nancy’s Sour Cream. It’s heavily cultured and tastes as good as French crème fraiche. It’s out of Eugene so you might be able to get it locally.

Sherri, thx for posting this recipe. I adapted it slightly:

3/4 cup whipping cream
2-3 heaping teaspoons mayo
2-3 heaping teaspoons sour cream
1/2 cup prepared horseradish (the cold kind, undrained)
1 heaping tablespoon dijon mustard
8-10 grinds of salt
10-12 grinds of pepper (both coarsely and fine)

Followed the same instructions, ended up using about 1/2 cup of the cream after it was whipped. If I was making a larger batch I’d use all of the whipping and increase the sour cream and mayo each by an additional teaspoon, probably keep the mustard the same or maybe just a touch more. I also let it rest in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to let everything integrate.

Anyway, it was absolutely fantastic and took all of 10 minutes to prepare. Never again will I buy pre-made horsey sauce.

Yep thanks Sherri I did this pretty much to a T and it was excellent.

My horseradish sauce is not for the faint of heart.

I take a whole, fresh horseradish root and shred is with a fine micro-plane. Then I mix it with a mix of sour cream and mayonnaise (just enough to incorporate the horseradish and produce a semi-firm but spoonably loose product), salt, and a little fresh ground pepper.