PUNTARELLE

If you like bitter salad, then buy Puntarelle. I made it yesterday for the first time, di sogno.

“Only a few years ago, the word puntarelle was practically unknown outside the Eternal City. Winter visitors to Rome returned home with tales of a fascinating salad of fresh bitter greens with anchovy dressing. Summer visitors never found out what they were talking about. Today, pale green puntarelle, a variety of Catalonian chicory, with long, spiky, dark leaves, are still available only in the colder months, but they are now well known throughout Italy. In the off-season, some Romans pair other salad greens with the salsa.”
Puntarelle.jpg
Ingredients

1 head puntarelle or endive or frisée
1 garlic clove
2-3 olive oil-packed anchovy fillets
1-2 tbsp white wine vinegar
3-5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

If using puntarelle, remove the leafy external stalks, then separate the inner stalks that have buds on top. Discard the tough lower part of each stalk. Cut off the buds and slit the lower part of the bud all around, to create a daisy effect. Peel away the outer fibers of the remaining stalk, then cut the stalk lengthwise into 4 or 5 strips, each about 1/8 inch wide. Rinse well. Immerse the pieces in ice water until they start to curl, about 30 minutes, then drain and dry well. Place the greens in a salad bowl.

Cut the garlic clove in half lengthwise, remove any green shoot, and then coarsely chop and place in a mortar. Using a pestle, grind the garlic. If using anchovies packed in oil, add to the mortar. Pound the anchovy fillets to a rough paste. Mix in the vinegar and then the olive oil.

Just before serving, pour the contents of the mortar over the greens and toss to coat the leaves evenly. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

ENJOY
Martin

P.S. it looks like that it is also a perfect starter with smoked fish. Optional add a touch of honey to the vinaigrette combined with smoked fish like eel or trout.

I always have a dish of puntarelle with acciughe when I visit Italy in November/December. They are available at restaurants across the country (I find them in Milan).