Dry Aging Veal

They have whole primals of bone in ribeye and t-bone veal at my costco right now and a light went off in my head as I passed by. Has anyone here dry aged veal and had luck, or had the opportunity to eat it and found it to be amazing? At $10/lb its hard to pass up on.

I saw a youtube video about a meat supplier who dry ages veal for a local restaurant on the east coast. They chef prepared some for the crew and they went nuts over it.

It might be worth a try. With that being said - what are you hoping to achieve? Tenderness? That aged funk?

How big are the sub-primals you found? Unless they are sizeable, or they weren’t really trimmed - you will likely be looking at a considerable loss due to trimming. For reference - a 20lb Prime Costco (boneless, mature beef) ribeye will typically lose 40%…

I already age plenty of beef ribeye subprimals from costco and while the weight loss is up there it is no where near 40% after 45 days even with trimming. That percentage weight loss is something more akin to charcuterie. As for the purpose of dry aging the veal it would be for tenderness and funk as I enjoy the tertiary notes in aged meats very much.

Elliot- what is your setup? I’ve been consistently in the 28-35% loss range over the last year. The one piece that was 42% admittedly had a small imperfection which affected overall yield. And you will have to trust me, the taste/texture results are not like charcuterie. I haven’t connected with many other people who age Costco prime, so I would love to hear more about your expirences.

Back to the veal, I would expect texture improvements for ~2 weeks. Would be interesting to see how the fat breaks down into the funk. Do it!

I use Umai Dry Bags to age my subprimals and to make charcuterie. Not having an extra fridge, this is the best way for me to get the job done and the results are more than acceptable. I usually find my weight loss after trimming to be 25-30% depending on how many days I let it age and how careful I am trimming it.
I think I will go for it with the veal and will let it age 45 days just like my beef. I have 3lbs of duck prosciutto and 10lbs of bresaola still going in the fridge, so when that’s finished and I have room I’ll start it and report back when its done.

Elliot- Thanks for the info on the Umai dry bags- Worth a shot for me.