Coffee/Espresso combo machine?

Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced combo machine that makes a decent cup of coffee and an acceptable shot of espresso? We’re talking recent college grad that doesn’t have a ton of room and isn’t exactly serious about coffee. No pods unless it’s ese type.

What is reasonable priced? Most of the oneS I know are just under a grand and expect that is not in the price range. Maybe $500 for a refurb Jura.

$500 pushing it but I can check Jura out. Been awhile but I bought a Jura C5 that I returned after about two days cuz I thought it was a piece of crap but might fit the bill for this [snort.gif]

wholelattelove has some sales now on quite a variety of machines.

Thanks

For that price range I’s look at Aussie brand Breville.

Go expresso and just do an Americano?

The way coffee and espresso are made are very different so you would really need 2 separate brewing/grinding mechanisms in one machine. I have a very nice DeLonghi that makes very good espresso but terrible coffee. I have a separate machine or use a french press for coffee.

George

Thanks all. Yeah didn’t think there was such a thing. I thought of the Americano twist as well. It’s for a new coffee drinker, upgrading from Coke in the morning. Might do a Ninja coffee bar

If not really into coffee, then I’d be looking at something ultra simple such as a stovetop Moka pot, and/or Aeropress. Buy coffee (pre-ground) from a decent coffee shop / roaster, buying little and often so you get decent freshness and proper burr-ground coffee.

If wanting cappuccino or other frothed milk coffees more often, then yes a machine starts to make sense, but there is a lot of cheap cr@p. FWIW if it’s about compact and convenient, then there may be merit in a pod system (I dislike them personally), but do factor in the overpriced cost of the pods.

I do like our Rancilio Silvia machine, but it really is very sensitive to the grind, so buying pre-ground just doesn’t work, hence the need to have a decent grinder (Eureka Mignon). This combo would be consider good ‘entry level’ in coffee circles, but would still set you back the best part of $1k, so not something I’d recommend for your needs.

Before that we had a Gaggia baby class D (with water filter in the water tank) which did us well and was more tolerant of the coarseness of the grind. I wouldn’t go back to it, but likewise I wouldn’t criticise it.

regards
Ian

Thanks. Yeah I’m not that serious into coffee myself and in fact currently have a Silvia and a Gaggia Baby Class (and a Francis Francis x5 for ese pods which my wife loves for grabbing something quick on the way to work) but that wasn’t the intention.

Ended up with a Ninja, yep. And it fit the bill just fine. Didn’t want Keurig type pods etc from a green standpoint. A step up from a Coke in the morning.

Was just kind of wondering if anything new out there and apparently not.