Gaspacho Pairing

This has been addressed before, back in 2010. I was wondering if any new ideas. Fino sherry is the standard recommendation. I am serving a white gaspacho this weekend for a winery owner and was entertaining the idea of a robust white. . .Southern Rhone white??? Rombauer “Chardonnay”?? Any thoughts? It takes a rather robust wine to stand up to the vinegar and garlic.

Closest I can think is Albariño, maybe Fiano. Anything with oak will clash badly.

P Hickner

Sherry, Lager or clean, sharp acidic Mediterranean white

Yeah, a rich (“robust”) white with normal range acidity sounds absolutely horrible.

And I think standing up to the vinegar and garlic requires a rather acidic white.

Picpoul blanc from Tablas is highly acidic. A rhone would be smashed by the vinegar.

My thought would be simply to get acid levels matched so you have continuity on the palate, it may help the gazpacho, but more likely neutral.

Txakoli White

White gazpacho (z, not s) has almonds no? I would do a Palo Cortado or Amontillado.

Txakolina is perfect with gazpacho. Txomin Etxaniz

Txakoli sounds like a great match.

Well, the news is that a Fino sherry definitely does not work. Too weak, not enough acid, not enough sweetness (none) in no way stands up to the intensity of flavors. I tried the Rombauer Chard (gift bottle, I assure you) and that was better, but still not enough acid. I like the suggestion of an Amantillado. I have never tried a Txacoli, but will look for it locally in San Diego. I may have a Picpul Blanc from Tablas in the cellar. . .I’ll have to look. I had an earlier Grenache Blanc from Tablas that had a bit of sweetness, but the one I opened last weekend was very dry.

If you have not tried white gazpacho, it is a great starter. Most experienced diners have not had it and the tastes are quite a surprise. I use the recipe from the cookbook Olives and Oranges. . .takes about ten minutes to make.

Thanks for the help.

Assyrtiko.