Best Prix Fixe in Manhattan? - Recs Wanted (Please)

My gf and I are making a quick, last-minute trip to NYC over Labor Day. Wanted to hit a prix fixe for lunch, since there are so many delicious places cranking our great food at a (relative) bargain price. Any recommendations? Lower Manhattan is preferred.

Currently have rezzies at Del Posto, but I’m considering changing to Marea. Love Jean-Georges, but not sure I want to wear a jacket in this weather. (yes, I know Marea and J-G aren’t in lower Manhattan.)

TIA.

Marea is my go-to fixed priced lunch in NYC. Great value.

Le Bernrdin is our go-to but the jacket requirement may be a deal killer for you there, too. We’ve done Jean-George a few time and have loved it as well. Only been to Marea for dinner but I wouldn’t hesitate to do lunch there, either!

JD

Go to Cull and Pistol or Lobster Place in Chelsea Market for your seafood fix… (go early… there are hordes of tourists there… or go directly after a 15 mile run in the heat… people will give you space)

Then go to one of the others for a late lunch

La Grenouille if you want old school French. They may require a jacket.

Easy answer for me - Bouley is by far the best prix fixe lunch value and is awesome food.

Marea is a good second choice, but it depends how long a meal you want . Bouley is 5 courses that is really 7 with amuse and peiti fours for $59. Marea is 2 cources for $52. Bouley is also going on sabbatical and the restaurant will be closing in October (I’m unsure if it will reopen, but the website says it’s a years sabattical).

I had a few last month - Bouley, Gabriel Kreuther (twice, very close to where I was), Le Bernadin, and Ai Fiore. Le Bernadin was the least exciting by far, pretty old fashioned and dull flavors for my palate. I’t recommend Bouley first, and then Marea or Gabriel Kreuther depending on whether you want pasta or not. I assume you want someplace different, otherwise I’d have JG right behind Bouley.

GK has a great inexpensive deal at the bar .

Bouley wanted a jacket, as did Le Bernadin. Ai Fiore was declicious and let me wear dress shorts at lunch (same ownership as Marea, although all equal, I’d do Marea).

Just made reservations at Bouley (barely edging out Marea). Gentlemen have to wear jackets, but I’m willing to make that concession because the menu looks great.

Thanks all.

So what color Hawaiian shirt will you be wearing? neener

In the days when you had to wear ties, my friend carried a Bat-Man clip on bow tie, which always worked

That would be a negative. Bobby would disown me.

Best of both worlds!

^ That’s so awful that it’s actually fantastic.

Gray’s Papaya has a great deal: 2 dogs (beef, so no need to worry about your finnicky diet restrictions) & a cup of one of their awesome fruit juices for around $5!

Your forefathers would be proud of your frugality.

I don’t know is I ever had a hot dog in NYC that wasn’t from a cart.

We used to have a Nathan’s where I grew up in South Florida, but can’t compare to the real thing.

Corey,

Recently had lunch prix fixe at Bouley and great value for NY. The atmosphere is relatively formal and sedate.

That said, my favorite dishes were the Malibu Sea Urchin and the Porcini Flan. Both must gets in my opinion.

Service was top notch, but a bit slow, so let them know if you have any sort of time commitment.

I could not decide between the Flan and the mushrooms. The server said the Flan was one of their signature dishes, so I went with that.

To my surprise, they gave me a decent size portion of the mushrooms on the house.

I also did the wine pairing, which was fine, but nothing all that memorable (compared with some other wine pairings I’ve had in NY, such as at Atera).

Tom

Wine at Bouley not great, and my sense is they are winding down the list in light of their impending close.

Corey you made the right call - you simply must go to Bouley while you still can. Its an iconic American restaurant.

Thanks for the reassurance, David. Honestly, I’m not looking for a wine epiphany. Something drinkable with lunch that doesn’t break the bank is perfectly fine.

Now just a cotton-picking minute. Is your concession wearing a jacket, or is it acting like a gentleman? Or maybe both? Inquiring minds want to know! [snort.gif] neener newhere

the food at Rebelle (downtown) is really good and they serve lunch on the weekends. Not prix fixe

When in October?