Hatch Green Chile Recipes

I’d love to hear of your favorite things to do with Hatch Green Chiles. I’m putting them on burgers and making hot sauce. What else you got?

Green Chile Stew from Sunday.

image.jpg

Roasted some on our grill along with ripe peaches. Peeled the chiles. Chopped up both. Mixed in honey and lime juice. Let cool. It’s a salsa of sorts, but made a great side dish with baby back ribs.

This may sound trite, but I use them to make chile! They are amazing.

Chili?

My favorite is doing a pork chile verde with several versions of hatch added, roasted, fresh, and dried and ground. Lots of tomatillos, lots of garlic, and lots of lime. I also like to do this around this time because I have ripe green tomatoes from the garden that I can add that gives body and savoriness while maintaining that nice green color.

yes, duh.

I love the hatch chiles with chicken. The result is somehow intensely savory but still fresh and green and snappy. Obviously great with other meat too.

sounds great!

Tell me more about the broth. Looks like a chicken soup type broth.

Simmer a whole chicken with mirepoix for 6 hours. Strain out solids and refrigerate until fat solidifies. Remove fat and discard. I reduce the liquid down about 75% to get a concentrated chicken flavor. Shred chicken and put two cups into stock with a whole yellow onion thinly sliced, 1 cup roasted green chile, 1 ear of corn kernels, fine dice russet tater. Season with Mexican oregano, cumin, S&P and lime juice. Simmer until taters are tender.

sounds great! thanks for sharing.

NP

I like to saute them with sweet corn and butter.

pozole verde

Nice. Throw any leftovers in cornbread?!

I live in Albuquerque. Love this time of year as the green chile crop is starting and the air smells of freshly roasted chile!
We use green chile on everything…as you pointed out green chile stew is great, many recipes out there.
Also to the OP who uses them on hamburgers, GREAT!
We also use them on pizza, sandwiches (turkey and roast beef work well), with eggs (any way) and just about another way you can think of.

Now that i am posting this i need to go get my sack of chile for the year!!