Reality Shows Killing Restaurants according to Jacques Pepin

The legendary chef Jacques Pépin has called out the bull of reality tv shows in an open letter posted by The Daily Meal.

Pépin, who has been an influential chef and television personality for many years, says that the constant stream of reality food shows and the shouty chefs that front them portray a negative image of the kitchen that is counter productive.

He writes:

“In the last few years, there have been a flurry of new TV cooking shows, so-called “reality” shows, that portray the restaurant kitchen in a chaotic and negative light, and I believe it is a disservice to our trade and to young people who want to go into this business. The worst offenders insult and humiliate their crew, cursing and swearing, with every other word a bleeped expletive. The crew, often unkempt and untidy, look at the chef defiantly and seem to be terrorized and belligerent at the same time.”

The points raised in his letter are valid and show how, ironically, reality shows on television are usually the furthest away from the actual reality of running a professional kitchen.

He also references Julia Child and how she rightly said you have to be in a happy mood to prepare good food, before once again commenting on the negative impact reality cooking shows are having on the industry.

“In these reality shows, the confrontation and the bitter drama are not conducive to producing good food. There is disarray and pandemonium in these kitchens, as well as in the dining rooms. No one seems to agree on anything, and there are ongoing clashes between the employees, without much evidence of what makes a kitchen work. For the good of his or her restaurant, the chef should be a role model, an educator who probes and advises his cooks, rather than embarrasses them publicly. A good kitchen is quiet most of the time. It is disciplined, well structured, and clean. People who cook there are dedicated and work together. Teamwork is extremely important, as all parts of the kitchen have to work on many of the same dishes. This requires them to work as one unit, like in a symphony when all the parts come together at the end. It is not exciting or dramatic enough for TV.”

Had a chance to meet him many mango seasons ago & love him & all his shows, particularly with Julia Child in the long past !

There’s a reason I will never go to any Gordon Ramsay restaurant.

Reality shows in general are about as far from reality as things get. Dumbing down of the American viewer.

Dumbing down the viewer and contributing to the coarsening of our society. So much of our modern popular culture is just awful stuff, IMO.

I love Jacques but see a bit of hypocrisy in the fact that he often appears on Top Chef.

Not sure of the reference to Top Chef. I thought that Mr. Pepin was writing about the Gordon Ramsay type show and from what I have seen the two shows are different in tone. In any event IMHO Jacques Pepin is a true master in the kitchen on both TV and his many books.

Cheers,
Curt

I think he was talking about Ramsay but the fact remains that Top Chef puts young chefs in unrealistic situations and I feel often times will “portray the restaurant kitchen in a chaotic and negative light” as Pepin states.

I’ve met Jacques many times and thoroughly enjoy his books and shows but he should possibly rethink his involvement in a cooking reality show if he feels this way.

Do we have a link to the article with the actual title of the article?

I think there may be some contextual issues as I don’t think he means ‘all’ but ‘some’ or ‘certain’ reality shows.

I think another funny difference between Top Chef and Hell’s Kitchen are the actual cooks. If you only watch Top Chef you’d think everyone in a kitchen is an attractive, stylish hipster. If you watch Hell’s Kitchen you see who is really cooking your food.

I’ll buy that when 90% of the Hell’s Kitchen contestants are Hispanic.

Reality cooking shows aren’t even meant to portray the “reality” of a professional kitchen; rather, they are meant to show the reality of a certain cooking competitions. If people are dumb enough to believe otherwise then they probably shouldn’t be working in a professional kitchen.

I’m not a fan of Hell’s Kitchen — I think I’ve only watched it twice, or so, and it simply never captured my interest. Ramsay’s other show, Kitchen Nightmares, I do enjoy watching, however … when I have the time, which is virtually never. I’ve never met Gordon Ramsay, so I can’t say what he’s like in “real life,” but if I had to venture a guess I’d say he’s probably someone I’d get along with quite well.

Appears to be an “open letter” posted a few years ago, and specifically in reference to Hell’s Kitchen:

Bruce

How does this “kill restaurants”?

As far as I can tell Pépin could have retired around the time that he was way chauvinistic to his daughter on telly. Gordon Ramsay is a nightmare and I am allergic to all of his shows. I used to be fond of Chopped, the only show I could watch from that network.

I used to enjoy Chopped a lot but once they started doing lots of cutesy specials (10 year olds, cafeteria workers, etc.) I pretty much lost interest.

Just saw a show with salmon and sorrel sauce. I thought his daughter handled him beautifully, and they plainly adore one another. Not sure where the foul was.

I don’t think you can judge all shows by Gordon Ramsey. I do agree the guy is terrible. As an aside I watched Burnt last night. What a terrible terrible flick. The crimes against restaurants were worthy jail time. Never seen a chef smoke in his own kitchen. Especially at 3 star level. ridiculous.

Mark, I haven’t watched in years so my comment is based on when they first teamed up and I should have stated that.

Jacques Pepin is a lovely man and a superb chef. His grand daughter is sweet & complements him well.
Some of you clearly suffer from Francophobia !
Vive la France !!!

champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif