Can One Smoke Clams ?

Recently I came into a large number of cherrystone clams from a friend who hunts and fishes everyday he can. He even power washed these so they are squeeky clean. Made clam linguine last night but am looking to do something else tonight or tomorrow. One thought is to smoke the clams on the grill. Anyone try this and how well do the clams take the smoke? Any tips would be much appreciated…Cheers, Gary

yes, follow this: http://honest-food.net/2013/12/16/smoked-mussels-recipe/

1.Make sure all the mussels are clean. You can debeard them now or do as I do and cut the beard off after I’d steamed the mussels. Bring the vermouth and water to a boil and add some mussels in a single layer. Cover and steam until they are open, which should take between a minute and 3 minutes. Move opened mussels to a bowl or baking sheet and add more fresh ones until you’ve steamed open all the mussels.
2.Strain the cooking liquid through a paper towel or cheesecloth (to remove all the debris) into a bowl. Set aside.
3.Use a small, sharp knife to remove the mussels from the shells, trying your best to get the little “scallop” muscle that holds the mussel in its shell — it’s tasty! Use the knife to cut off the beard if you have not done so already. When it’s done, drop each mussel into the strained broth. Make sure all the mussels soak for at least 20 minutes.
4.Fire up the smoker. I use alder wood, and I like the temperature to be around 145°F. Keep in mind mussels are small, so you will need a pretty fine grate to prevent them from falling through. I use dehydrator grates. Smoke the mussels for 90 minutes to 2 hours — you don’t need a whole lot of time here, just enough to get a smoky flavor without overcooking the mussels. Don’t let the smoker get too hot!
5.When they are done, toss the mussels in the oil and eat, or store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to a week. Freeze what you don’t eat.

Yes, but they are hard to keep lit.

JD

Never have smoked them.
My wife likes them cooked on the grill . Just eats them once they pop open-don’t let them cook after they pop open or else the juice runs out. I prefer little necks.
Can cook up some white wine/garic/parsley and throw in clams once open to give additional flavor.

Watched Ina do stuffed clams on the Weber the other day. Been craving it every since.

Basically after griling you use the clams to scoop up the stuffing.

But you can smoke anything, smoked a big round of brie on a cedar plank with pepper jelly and sliced Jalopenos on top. Fantastic.

you could just shuck and freeze. that’s what I do with razors.

You could also cold smoke them…and then cook them if you want. (I’ve done that with mussels).

A grill is good for popping open clams and oysters.

Beat me to it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the replies. I will try to do an indirect smoke on the grill which will allow them to pop open and then take on some smoke.