Brag Book

Summer Supper

• Shrimp: Fresh Georgia white shrimp on wooden skewers, basted with butter/garlic/lime zest, grilled

• Cole slaw: Shredded green cabbage, chopped Italian parsley, Dijon, fresh lime juice, Champagne vinegar, salt, pepper, mayonnaise

• Tomatoes: Sliced heirloom Black Krims, salt, pepper

• Beverage: 2014 Moulin de Gaussac “Guilhem” rosé, Pays d’Herault (Languedoc)

• Dessert: Fresh Georgia white peaches, cracked black pepper

Though damn good, outstanding actually, I’m confident it’s not—or at least, will not be accepted as—the best summer supper enjoyed tonight.

So, please: Tell everyone what you had that matched or topped it.
Share the joy! Get the conversation going!

Since you gave it this title, I will say I can beat that by a country mile. It will take me a while write it up, but here are some highlight:

Foie Gras with 1983 Ch. d’Yquem.

Culatello from the original Eatly (here in Torino) with a brilliant Franken Silvaner.

Summer truffles over eggs and peas with 1990 Giacosa Asili Riserva and 1961 Conterno Monfortino.

The rest of the Yquem with strawberries and zabione.

2002 and 2005 Truchot Chambolle Musigny Sentiers. I must have eaten something with it, but who cares what.

LOL!!! Boiled peanuts, perhaps?

Made Carrots and Peas from The French Laundry Cookbook with my son. Nice dish.

Frozen bean and cheese chimichangas and leftover Whataburger grits. :slight_smile:

Mixed cherry tomato bruschetta on ciabatta
image.jpeg
Grilled cubanelle peppers stuffed with conecuh, white cheddar and silver queen corn
image.jpeg
Yard bird, Sweet and Hot Italian Sausage (smoked) and potato salad
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Cobbler of Grand Bay peaches and Blueberries
image.jpeg

Wow!

Pepper on peaches? Not an odd combo?

Yes, an odd combo. Also delicious. Go ahead, take a spin.

Not at all, particularly when grilled. Sweet and a little bit of savory.

I grew up eating orange slices with fresh ground black pepper and olive oil.
I will try the pepper on peaches. Sounds good.

Sunday night Supper (at the beach-Pawley’s Island) fresh caught trigger fish, lightly oiled lemon juice, salt and pepper, grilled…grits…thick sliced Lowcountry tomatoes, salt and pepper , a bit of basil, fresh squash, crook neck and zucchini, oven roasted, York County peaches for dessert…there were nine adults, we opened a variety of wines, mostly Pinots, great start to a wonderful family beach vacation!

The morons at NOAA have closed Gulf Trigger until next year. All set to go get me some when it was supposed to reopen Aug 1. One wonders how they can be so accurate when they said we exceeded our quota by 39,977 lbs. not 40,000 lbs. Considering they don’t sample recreational vessels, nor do we self report like we do with ARS, nor do they sample the population on reefs. The pseudo science is mind boggling.

On the other hand I did beautiful skewered rib eye caps, with teri yaki grilled asparagus and mushrooms and a nice arugula salad. Headed down to the Bayou today to grab some shrimps. THinking about making some Okra and tomatoes to go along with them.