Tokyo Restaurants

I just returned from a quick trip to Tokyo.

Sushi Sawada- Really good, but a very serious experience. Small 6 seat bar. The tuna was spectacular. Rice was heavier on the vinegar than I am used to. Quality of the ingredients was amazing, but I’d like to have a bit more “fun” at dinner. He absolutely will not serve anything that isn’t at the peak of season. While I respect the dedication to quality, the variety felt a bit limited. Mostly squid, shrimp, tuna, uni.

Sushi-ya- Way more relaxed than sawada. More variety as well. I was served the best ankimo I’ve ever had. Tamago was amazing as well. We went for the full menu, but the rest of the guests (japanese women and chinese tourists) were doing much smaller meals. I really enjoyed it and would go back.

7 Chome Kyobashi- Really impressive tempura. We were the only 3 people in the restaurant. The sakura shrimp and fig were insanely good. I had no idea that tempura could be so delicate and transmit such pure flavors. This was also by far the most expensive meal of the trip. I can see how many people wouldn’t see the value here, but it apparently the best tempura in the world.

Shima- I really enjoyed the beef here along with the rest of the meal. The tomatoes in my salad were the best I’ve every had. The beef wasn’t too fatty which was nice. I’m not much of a steakhouse guy, but if you want to try japanese beef, this is a good option.

My big take away with the sushi restaurants is that it is a lot like in the US. You need to establish a relationship with the chef in order to have the best experience. Obviously that is difficult to do as a tourist, but I’m sure regulars have a superior experience. My favorite meal was at a local yakitori place. I’m a big yakitori fan, and the quality here was a huge jump from the majority of what is available in the states.

Ryan - Agree on 7 Chome Kyoboshi. I found it an amazing experience and utterly worth it for the chance to have the pinnacle of a particular thing, but don’t think most Americans would get it at all. It is indeed very expensive (we also drank a bunch of white burgundy there which didn’t help), but if you value getting a chance to partake of a single thing brought it absolute obsessive perfection, which I do and which the Japanese do better than almost anyone (actually not sure anyone in the world does focus and obsession like the Japanese do), then it’s not to be missed. I would go back, but not every time I’m there.

Ryan - Thank you for the notes. Out of curiosity, what (or where) was the yakitori place you mentioned?

Eric,

It was called masakichi. Off of the meguro line. Felt like it was in the suburbs a bit. It was a great little spot. The neck meat and chicken butt were to die for.