First Time in Lockhart, TX - where to go?

One meal, no dietary restrictions, no specific BBQ-type preference

• Black’s Barbeque
  • Smitty’s Market
  • Kreutz Market
  • Chisholm

0 voters

First trip to Lockhart, TX - curious what prevailing sentiment is regarding the local BBQ.

Austin

It’s a moving target, but my rough view right now would be (1) Black’s (by some margin), (2) Kreutz, and then (3) Smitty’s. Never been to Chisholm.

Nolan’s right that Austin and environs (don’t forget Louis Mueller in Taylor – perhaps my favorite of them all) is the BBQ Mecca these days, but I do love the Lockhart places too.

I haven’t been in some time, but have always preferred Kreuz’s to the others. I used to occasionally go to Smitty’s since it was in the original Kruez’s location (and enjoyed the smoky ambiance), but the last couple of times I went there (admittedly a few years back), the food was sub-par. I have never been a fan of Black’s.

None of the above. Seriously.

Go to Lexington for Snow’s on a Saturday, Taylor for Louie Mueller or Austin to fight with the hipster BBQ joints.

If I had to pick based on the list provided I’d go to Black’s. Note - I haven’t been to Chisholm.

At Black’s be careful how they cut your brisket…they were a bit busy when we went and brought out another cutter to help with the line and to move through people quicker…well, that guy cut the brisket incorrectly and while the flavor on it was good the incorrect technique ruined it for the group.

Enjoy.

Also, they are all close so easily you can do all 3 (unsure on Chisholm) if you order properly (read, small amounts).

Drive another 10 min and goto City Market in Luling.

I second the vote for City Market.

Black’s could be okay, depending on how busy it is. Sides and flavors are good, but sometimes the texture of the beef rib (for example) is not on when they are busy.

Kreuz Market was, for me, disappointing. The brisket and pork were quite dry. Not in the “no sauce” sense, as I knew there would be no sauce, but as in the meat was way way dry. Yeah, we didn’t get the fatty part of the brisket, but this still ranked as some of the driest brisket I’ve ever had. I have no idea if it was a one-off experience, but it simply wasn’t worth it.

Chicken was moist. Sides were fine.

Beat me to it. That or Austin.

Any of the Lockhart places can be very good to great, but they all struggle with consistency. Luck of the draw there now. City Market and the Austin joints are far more consistent and make better Q these days.