Truffles

I have never bought fresh truffles and know very little about them. I used to have a source of frozen truffles from a company that sold First Class meals to international airlines, but they are long ago bankrupt. Is it possible to get them now in New York? I want a truffle to shave into the risotto for Berserkerfest.

You can get truffles year round but the season is fall-early winter for the best Italian & French truffles. I’m no truffle expert but I think spring/summer truffles might not be worth the $$ in terms of QPR.

Agreed with brent - out of season now. You can get dehydrated truffles, without added flavoring, at Buon Italia and a few other sources in NY, but I don’t think they compare at all to the real, fresh, deal.

I’ll pile on. Don’t waste your money on summer truffles.
luxury ingredients in season now- porcini mushrooms and morels

There may be better culinary alignments than that brief shining moment every year when morels, asparagus and scallops are all in season at once, but I’m hard pressed to think of any right now.

I would say morels, asparagus, and salmon personally, but there is room for both opinions.

Morels. Good idea. I’ll have to stop at Whole Paycheck to see if they have any, which is the last place I bought them. I could always go dig for some in the woods behind my house, but I’m not willing to risk my guests’ lives on my ability to avoid poisonous fungi.

My point is not that it is the best of all flavor combinations (though I do happen to think it’s a superior combination), but that it is an unparalleled brief aligning of seasons. Scallops are just going out of season as morels and asparagus come in, whereas salmon overlaps the others quite nicely for a while.