Peruvian Food is Good

I had several days of Peruvian food. Nothing swanky. Just local cuisine. Great stuff.

I loved …

Aji de Gallina - a stew of chicken and golden pepper sauce. Can’t really describe this. The sauce is like a veloute. So wonderful.

Lomo Saltado - loin of beef marinated and grilled with papas fritas. Oh my. This is good. The beef is uniformly just OK in Peru however.

Aguadito de Pollo

Soupa de Quinua - incredible

Caldo de Gallina

Soupa Criolla

Apanado de Alpaca - delicioso

Papas con Uchullachua - with purple potatoes just exquisite

Trucha - Trout . This is incredible in the Sacred Valley . Fresh . Any way it is prepared it is one of the best things on the menu.

Cuy - I tried it. Like a very fatty rabbit. Not for me however

Washed down with Cusquena beer from Cuzco this cuisine is such a wonderful experience.

I’m sure it tastes better there, but I have 2-3 Peruvian restaurants within walking distance of my apartment. I don’t recall seeing some of the more esoteric items on the local menus though. :wink:

Brent.
I am sure if you look hard enough they have a few guinea pigs back there. :slight_smile:

Yes. It. Is.

But cuy is a fried rat.

Sounds great Don.

I’ve always wanted to try Peruvian pollo but I’m too chicken.

Strictly speaking it is guinea pig. It is usually baked or roasted over fire. The comparison to rabbit is correct. Have never eaten rat so cannot say how it compares. [snort.gif]

Don’t forget to try jalea

Thanks Jorge!

The best food I had in Lima a few ears ago was Chinese.