Paris restaurants, suffering

We had travelled to Paris in May during three of the past five years.
Not this year, however, much like so many other visitors. Sad.

We were there for a week at the end of March, and the lack of American tourists was visible. People said that Japanese were not coming either. We booked before the Brussels attack, and to be honest thought about cancelling, but then decided we didn’t want to live that way. Had a great time.

Went last year and was able to get any reservation we wanted.
Good news for family with children. Not only will Michelin star places take you in, u don’t need a stuffy coat jacket and heck u won’t even be disturbing anyone!! :wink:

Chez L’Ami Jean was always packed and fun, at each visit. Hearing
that the place is almost empty during dinner is quite amazing.

It isn’t clear that the comment about L’Ami Jean is about dinner; lunch has never been that crowded. Regardless, go 9:30 or after for dinner, after the tourists have cleared out. Much better vibe. Jego is less stressed, as is the staff, who aren’t trying to turn tables as quickly as possible.

We purposely added 2 days in Paris during our London trip after the terrorist attacks to show support.

Oh how we suffered - lunch at L’Arpege, breakfast, lunch and dinner at Le Comptoir, fresh strawberries from Galleries Lafayette, Versailles, shopping…

Le Comptoir was about 90% full on a Tuesday night which is pretty good though not the unavailable reservation that it was 4 years ago. People were walking up and getting tables.

I commented about a recent Brussels trip. Very quiet and quite a few places have closed. Though not the Michelin ones.

luckily i am at jfk about to take off. i hope to arrive with a most excellent appetite!

Maybe I am wrong, but I am surprised that there has not been much talk among all the Paris-love and France-travel-love of anti semitism. I would love to go to Paris any time and twice on Shabbat. My wife refuses out of principle.

I don’t think it’s higher there than most of the rest of the world. And it does have my favorite falafel.

Although I have heard that there are more French Jews than ever moving to Israel. (And more Israelis then ever moving to Germany)

had a stunning lunch at david toutain, most likely my best yet there. great to see the evolution of the cuisine with several new dishes. it was a full house as well, not a seat to be spared.

You are strongly wrong. Who told you that ? Medias like fox news ?

Yes a lot of french jews was moving in israel and go back soon.
Jerusalem and israel (except tel aviv) is not the best funny place to live.
Except if you are orthodox.

Go figure. You can bet that as time goes by and things get worse there will be less people traveling there. Human nature usually wins out.

Sorry she feels that way, Mitch. Sure there is antisemitism there, as in many places (including the UK, just to name one) but that’s no reason to stay away IMO. In fact not going is playing into the antisemites game. There are many people there who don’t have that problem.

Any price drops? Deals? or are the menu prices remaining the same?

Why would they drop prices when volumes are off? If you depend on the tourist trade but terrorism has scared off you’re customers, dropping prices won’t bring them back.

Terrorists don’t scare me away from Paris, it’s the size of the seat in the crappy airplanes and all that customer service in the airports I can’t overcome.

What I saw and heard and experienced over a month from the end of January to the end of February was somewhat similar. Most places that depend on tourists were hurting a bit if not a lot, but places catering more to locals (which is what I tend to prefer) were packed, and I do mean packed. I had to call 3 places one night to get a table for 2, and managed to snag a late night sitting at Chez l’Ami Jean (luckily by the pass so I could chat with Chef). But the place was packed as well.

Parisians were out in force (the mild winter certainly helped) as a big F U to the November assholes.

Premium economy is a good compromise between the ridiculous cost of business class and the ridiculously small seats of economy.

What customer service?