Dave Beran leaving Next

Per his Instagram account

reported widely in the Chicago food sites. Going to open a yet unknown restaurant(s) in LA

George

I really enjoyed the first couple of Next dinners I attended - the tributes to El Bulli and Bocuse d’Or. The Steak experience was crap and way over-priced. After that I was completely turned off.

The best food there was Bistro IMO. Really awesome. That’s the rstaurant they should open.

I liked the Bistro, el Bulli and Kaiseki menus in particular. I don’t but tickets anymore since they don’t accommodate my wife’s pescatarian limits. And I save a lot of money as a result

I went to the first 7 menus. I have not been back in a while. I liked Beran’s food and he was a very nice guy. There were some amazing dishes. I really struggled with the beverage offerings and ultimately the overall cost as some of the meals approached pricing similar to Alinea or Grace and less than places like Acadia, 42g and Sixteen.

George

What George said. When they started, it was fun and good. Got a bit impressed with themselves (not referring to Beran) and price went out of control with hospitality declining. Next became “NEXT…” to me.