Chicago this week

Hey all. I have to be in Chicago for work next week Mon-Wed so my wife and i are using it as an opportunity to have a quiet weekend together and going up on Friday. I really need some advice on Brunch because i have no experience with it in Chicago.
Friday night- Dinner at Schwa with friends who live in Chicago
Saturday Brunch- need help
Saturday Night- Au Cheval ( have told my wife about it 100 times and we are going to see some music first so a casual dinner after)
Sunday Brunch- need help
Monday Night- open to suggestions (short list: Longman & Eagle, Dusek, Duck Duck Goat, Acadia)
Tuesday Lunch- St. Lou’s Assembly
Tuesday Night- open to suggestions (short list: Maple & Ash, Swift & Sons, Monteverde, Sepia)
Wednesday Night- Grace

I am staying at the Trump but location is not a concern as long as it is worth the trek.
Thanks in advance.

I’ve heard the brunch at Trump is pretty epic…

For Saturday brunch I would do Frontera Grill. Dove’s Luncheonette is great also. (no reservations be prepared to wait)
For Sunday brunch do the Trump. Michael is right it is excellent. You will need reservations at Frontera and Trump

Saturday - Au Cheval is great but no reservations… small place be prepared to wait a long time. Look at Publican which is nearby or Blackbird or Salero or MFK (one of my favorites) up north. All of those take reservations.

Monday - Acadia is great, they are doing some wonderful things right now. In a different league than Longman & Eagle (which I would skip) Duck, Duck goat is new. I haven’t been. Also look at 16 in the Trump… really, really good. (not sure if open on Monday)

Tuesday - I would choose Sepia or Maple and Ash depending on what you are in the mood for. Boka, Naha or Topolobampo are also great options.

Wed - enjoy! Great place.

You can also look at Grant Achatz’s (Alinea) new place Roister. It just opened, I will be there on Saturday but have heard good things.

Enjoy the city. Tons of great dining options.

George

Alston,

It looks like you’ve got a pretty high end line-up planned. For my tastes (and I’m not criticizing if you’re interested in a different experience) I like to alternate nice with local/casual so my recommendation for Sunday brunch (provided it’s not crazy cold) is:

Now I totally get that you have great Mexican food in Texas. Maxwell Street market is a street market that is only open on Sundays. Lots of vendors selling tacos and what not. It’s certainly not fancy…you sit at picnic tables, elbow to elbow with other patrons. And if you happen to want a couple snow tires or a used transistor radio, well they have that too.

Finally, you’re a short walk from the Art Institute. Get tickets and see Van Gogh’s bedrooms. It will be the best thing that you do on this trip.

George,
Thanks for the reply and ideas. I have been to Dove’s. Loved it. I know Au Cheval is a pain but figure if we are coming from a concert we will be happy to have a cocktail or two while we wait. It is my understanding that Roister is only open Wed-Sun right now otherwise I would try there.

Thanks Michael

I did brunch at Bottlefork last Saturday.
Just mentioning because I wouldn’t go again.
The Bloody Mary was ok, breakfast was just ok.

The burger at Au Cheval is fabulous and so is the house made fried bologna sandwich. Maple and Ash if fun and very good. Been to Sepia a couple of times in the last year and it is always excellent. We also really like Boka right now, too. As for brunch, I agree on the Sixteen suggestions. If not that the Peninsula is very similar.

JD

Thanks Corey and John.

Mark duly noted. Thanks

probably going to have to wait for a cocktail as well

Jordan,
My experience has been that you can give them your cell phone number and wander around that area and they will text you a 15 minute warning to come back.
Thanks,
Alston

Went to Roister last night. It was excellent. Small but very serviceable wine list. Did the hearth menu lots of great food for $85. A la carte dishes looked great also. As this place evolves it could be quite amazing.

George

Continue to be a fan of The Kitchen - great WB friendly wine list (think Dirty & Rowdy, etc) and always good food and great service. Their Bolognese is stunning as is their tomato soup but so is everything else I’ve had there. Too late for your brunch today - and given our gorgeous weather Corey’s suggestion of Maxwell St is perfect - but we did brunch at Kitchen once which was so enjoyable we didn’t leave until after dinner.

George – do I understand correctly, that there are no menus?

There are menus. There is a tasting menu called the hearth menu for $85 for us I think it was 11 courses. There is also an a la carte menu that is online if you want to look at it. A cocktail menu, spirits menu and a wine list by the bottle and glass.

You choose whether you want the hearth menu or a la carte menu when you make your reservation.

George

Went to Roister tonight and walked in. Got there at 6:25 and was immediately seated. We had the a la carte menu and had several dishes all of which were really good. I will post pictures tomorrow.

I like Au Cheval but personally I wouldn’t wait more than 45 minutes; it’s not THAT good IMHO. (Friends and I were discussing this last night at dinner). I mean, the hamburger, though good, is made of frozen Sysco patties with American cheese…just sayin…

When I went there with a Mr. Freemott we ordered MANY things off the menu. (one of the many advantages of dining with Chris flirtysmile ) I would have to say that the burger was one of my least favorites.

George