Suggestions for using lamb stock?

I made a recipe with leg of lamb, and I had to buy a bone-in leg. So it deboned the leg and made a simple lamb stock with the bone, scraps from
cleaning the meat, onion, carrots, etc. I’ve skimmed the fat off the lamb stock once it cooled in the fridge.

So now I’m looking for suggestions on the best uses for the lamb stock. Suggestions?

Bruce

Risotto.

Lamb stew. Maybe a dark dhal. I find it too strong for most normal uses.

What would you put in the risotto so that the lamb stock doesn’t overpower the rest of the flavors?

Bruce

That sounds great.

Only use a small portion of the stock, include mushrooms.

Treat it kind of like demi-glace.

Mmmmmmmm.

Also, you could use some of the stock to make a chickpea/carrot/beet/honey tagine.

You made me hungry!

Everything! Freeze a reduction in smaller containers for random use where base notes are needed.

Demi-glace, from my use, is added at the end, whisked into a little water/stock and added at the end - to prevent the gelatinous, rich, shiny goodness from breaking down.

Is it just me?

One of the only stocks we don’t keep around, as it is, in my opinion, too strongly flavored for many applications.

One good one, though, is if you are making lamb ribs and want to baste with something throughout or use as a base, depending on your cooking method.

I probably won’t make anything lamb-related for a while; still working on leftover lamb.

If using lamb stock in the risotto (with some mushrooms), would you use red or white wine?

Bruce

I have reduced down to demi glacé and incorporated with whole grain mustard, Cognac, garlic confit and HdP to make a sauce for lamb rib chops.

No, that’s correct, I really meant it as something you can use a little of and get a big impact.

You can use it as braising liquid for a lamb or even beef dish.

Cumin lamb stir fry - you can use a little lamb stock for the sauce. Or a noodle soup.

Lentils as was suggested on FB. Complements the earthy side of du puy lentils. Then use the lentils however, you don’t need to make a “lamb dish” I even freeze the lamb-lentil stock and use it again to cook more lentils ( coffee filter off the lentil sludge)

This is great! I also like farro. Then with the leftover farro, make a salad with chunks of chevre and steamed vegetables.

Use for simmering beef. You would be amazed at the results.

I use lamb stock for porcini risotto with black truffles. The lamb stock is too strong for white truffles. I use a aromatic white wine like a Riesling or Pinot Grigio. If I want a red wine I use Beaujolais.

I tried Mel’s lentil salad recipe; quite delicious.

Bruce
Lentils.jpg