Fedex from Burgundy

I am not sure why I have to have this shipped overnight from France but the FDA won’t let me buy it here. It’s a bit extravagant but fell in love with this at Jamin, and it costs less than a nice Morey VV village :slight_smile:.
cheese.jpg

Nice, may be easier & cheaper to ship from Canada.

Do you use a specific retailer to get the cheese here or do you have someone buy and send (if you don’t mind saying on a public forum)?

Edit, thought it was a lignier but see it’s jouan, nm.

James, it was through fromages.com; received this with a nice selection of raw-milk cheeses. Sold out of Citeaux this week though. Chris that’s potentially a good idea, pm if you know someone there who ships to the US. Shipping cost for this was quite fair though, about $20-30 for overnight.

Yes it’s Jouan, just received this as well :slight_smile:.

Well… I was just in Toronto and the cheese stores at the St. Lawrence Market all said they are no longer able to obtain “raw milk” French cheeses any longer…meaning those that aren’t aged sufficiently long (e.g., epoisses) to be imported legally into the US. I was hoping to bring some home with me…from Toronto…of the “real” (Gaugry) Ami du Chambertin or some Soumaintrain or other raw milk stuff. (The pasteurized versions are available in the US).

But, no luck. And, very specific responses about why from the cheese “mongers”.

according to this WIKI (no time for better research) both Canada and the US have the same regs…to bring in “raw milk” cheese, it must have been aged for at least 60 days before release for sale.

This covers epoisses, etc…and I assume the Citeaux.

Not going to site specifics on a public bb if regs suggest what you say. I did have some raw milk Epoisses very recently.

Stuart - did you speak with Alex Farms at the market?

Chris-- I spoke to the guy in most detail at the shop next to the the “pea bacon” sandwich stand. (We had that sandwich…which was good, but not memorable.)

Part of the problem here is definition, I think. Cheese made with “raw” milk is only an issue if it is released young, which most epoisses is. However, I believe that almost all of the cheesemakers that make epoissses and related cheeses (usually different in shape and what it’s “dunked” in to finish it only) have stopped using “raw” milk. For a while they tried to hide that they were using pasteurized milk by saying it was “thermalisee” and “lait entier”, rather than pasteurized milk. I noticed recently that Gaugry, IMO, the best maker, in Brochon, has “pasteurised” on their carton.

I’m not convinced that getting real “raw” milk cheeses is worth the effort, ie, the difference isn’t that great. But…that’s because I’m satisfied to get Epoisses and its relatives that I like. (And, I’ve recently become very enamored with Berthaut’s Soumaintrain. It’s the same cheese, larger , coated in vegetable dye rather than marc de bourgogne or chablis, and a great value. Hard to find outside of Zabar’s in NYC, though. And, I was recently at Zabar’s and they had none anyway.