Olive Oil - I'm clueless, please help

I can’t think of anything that i use on a daily basis that i know less about and is seemingly a totally opaque market filled with fraud.

what can i find that’s:

1. organic

2. genuine

3. solid flavor

4. good enough to drizzle, but cheap enough to cook with

does this EVOO unicorn exist?

Veleta.

Never mind - missed the part about organic.

We’ve been lucky with some Lebanese oils over the past few years, but they are limited distribution and harder to find.

Not exactly news, but:

Avoid cooking with the primo stuff, as temperatures will destroy/degrade the healthy elements. Regular EVOO (thanks, annoying Rachel Ray, for imprinting that acronym into my brain forever) will do for cooking.

If you wish to drizzle Olive Oil over finished food or salads or cheeses, finer is better. Treat it with care (no direct light, no indirect heat, use ASAP).

BTW, the shop I worked in had a chance to buy Greek Extra Virgin first cold-pressed Olive Oil from the Kaskoutas family’s farm direct. The stuff was dark green, cloudy, and smelled awesome. You could’ve drunk it like wine. Alas, Shreveport is not a sustainable market for such an endeavor @ $34/btl (2004), and they ultimately went under.

Mine. Veleta… Direct from my farm in Granada, Spain, to my warehouse in the US shipped by me to you!

thanks - can’t find info on organic, can you please link here?

We don’t use pesticides on our olive trees even though we are not certified organic.

understood, thanks for the response.

i’m interested in organic.

No.

But Rare Wine Co just put out their newsletter for 2015 oils. Several organic options.

I would never, ever cook with these oils. That would be a waste. Can’t you swing one for cooking and one for drizzling?

Why not Costco?

always a great source and a few of these are organic - thank you!

no access…or interest.

She presses it by treading the olives while only wearing the best Birkenstocks and singing Uncle Johns Band!

Rare Wine has great Olive Oil, but I would echo – use it to drizzle and find some cheaper oil to cook with. I use Rare Wine Olive Oil for drizzling and salads and Costco Oils for cooking.

Do you hate america?

I am confused. She just said it is organic, what’s the issue? The whole organic thing is only an issue if you dont know where it’s coming from. Simple fact that refined, read processed, is better for cooking. If you want both, good luck. Better than that find a TJs or Costco processed oil, then find a Veleta for a finishing oil.

There is no particular reason to use olive oil in cooking; you lose any taste of olives

other than the health benefits, yes. If I want neutral flavor, I use grape seed oil.