SPÄTZLE

It´s such a looong time that I made this dish called Kässpätzle. Famous in my home region Baden-Württemberg in the south of Germany. I learned it from my grandmother and from her I also inherited a Spätzle press. You can make Spätzle which is similar to pasta for Ragú or braised dishes as a side dish. Or like me make Kässpätzle with cheese and onions.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=3210

If you don´t have Spätzle press or potato ricer then use a wooden board and dough scraper or knife. Here is a lovely video how to make it. The language is typical south of Germany.

ENJOY
Martin

I greatly appreciate you work and posts!

[thankyou.gif]

P.S. I had some leftover and re-heated it in the oven. We call it Gröstl and is simply delicious with a nice crust.

Big +1 here. A good friend gave me a Spätzle maker similar to the one in your pics (heavy cast aluminum). It had belonged to her German grandmother.

I used the noodles in my usual chicken soup and heavenly! Thanks

Loved that second video “guck a mol”, reminds me of my student days in Tübingen! I’ll have to try that–but you need some good wrist action!

I found this “guck a mol” also such funny.

Some practice and routine is certainly necessary. Have patience! Hab Geduld!

P.S. Of course you can also make the Spätzle dough with a kitchen machine. It´s just important that you bring air in the dough, you will see it when there are blister in the dough. Then it is perfect!

Schwäbisch, right? Reminds me of my 5th cousins in Niederhofen (close to Ulm and south of Blaubeuren). Love Spaetzle!

YES Frank, it´s Schwäbisch.

For what it’s worth – when we were visiting she made Flaedlesuppe which was a chicken soup. The noodles were basically made of crêpes which had been cut into thin parallel strips. Really good.

And when we left she made me a Zöpf to take home. It was a large braided bread, sprinkled with sugar. I read somewhere that whether you use sugar or not is regional, and to be expected in one of the few Catholic towns in Württemberg. She also used an oven in a style 2000 years old – the barn wall is stone and thick, and there is a cavity in the stone wall. You burn some wood in the cavity to heat it up and then clean it out and put your bread in for baking. It excites me a little to think that people were probably doing that in Roman times. We also went to the Brotmuseum in Ulm and saw some of the very fancy style bread and buns that have been found from ancient sites. Ancient doesn’t mean simple!

Frank,

don´t forget the Maultaschen or „Herrgottsbscheißerle“. Monks from the monastery Maulbronn tried to hide meat before god in the fasting period. So they put the meat in a pasta dough. „Herrgottsbscheißerle“ means to cheat on god.