Need some Pasadena restaurant recs.

I’ve already asked Charlie, but figured I would ask here as well…

I’ve got family coming into town next week for my niece’s choir recital in Pasadena. They will be staying out there. I want to get them some restaurant recs–both
nicer and more casual. After the recital on Saturday, the 4 of us will want to go to a nice place for a combination post-recital & birthday dinner, so that’s esp. helpful. Only my brother and I drink vino, so it doesn’t have to be a major BYOB place (although that’s always a plus!).

Thanks,
Bruce

Settebello Pizza! Boy, do I miss that place. I also miss Congregation Ale House. If they are interested in Mexican food, I highly recommend Cacao Mexicatessan in Eagle Rock (which also has a nice, cheap breakfast). No recommendations for anything fancy. We never found one when we lived there. Hopefully there’s something good there now.

I just tried Union last weekend would highly recommend it. Limited wine list but great Italian food and a handful of good beers by the bottle. Nice room if a bit loud. On E Union Street in Old Town. Try the wild mushroom and polenta starter.

My faves:

Union
Alexander’s (for higher end dinner but better yet for “happy hour” at their bar)

Celestino or Gale’s for Italian
Roma Market for “the sandwich” which is a simple Italian cold cut + cheese & olive oil (owner Rosario sells hundreds a day).
Racion - pretty good tapas.
Nicole’s gourmet - cheese & croissant source
Gus’s BBQ - pretty good in South Pas
Raymond - good bar cocktails & good dinner
Seed Bakery - good bread, quiche

I was tempted to tell Bruce “nothing, go eat somewhere else” ;D;D;D

Union. It’s great what Bruce and Marie are doing!

I used to like Arroyo Chophouse, but haven’t been in years.

Is Roma that good?

Union would be the best choice, but make reservations very early. Racion is very good, but with a larger group, I don’t think the small plates concept works as well. I haven’t been, but heard great things about Alexander’s, but it’s a steakhouse.

For casual, the Luggage Room is a good wood fired pizza place, but I agree with Poppy that Settebello is a bit more upscale while still being casual. And, of course, there’s Din Tai Fung, but that probably is not good with what you are looking for that night.

I liked Union a lot but it was very noisy.

Their visit has come and gone. I tried without success to get reservations at Union; we just ended up at
a place close to where the recital was. In retrospect, I’m glad I didn’t get a reservation any place fancy; we met some of my niece’s friends for dinner and they were 45 minutes late due to traffic…

Bruce

It is a damn fine sandwich! Great bread with simple and delicious fillings. Most of the stuff there is very good including the breads.