Dungeness Crab Recipe

I’ve done a number of trials this season and feel I’ve perfected the time, temp and technique for Dungeness Crabs, so please give it a shot and let me know how it goes. The texture is just barely cooked, which is great for eating straight but also ideal if you’re going to cook again in an omelet, cake, etc. Don’t skip the preheating of the shell, it’s not just because the temps are too low to activate the beta carotene in the shells—the par cooked shell imparts flavor to the crab meat.

Sous Vide Recipe
Heat a water bath to 137
Using a very hot broiler or blow torch, briefly color the shell
Add to aromatics* (optional) and crab (live) to a vacuum bag
Cook for 45 minutes at 137
Move bag of crab to ice bath and chill thoroughly
Crack now or refrigerate for up to 2 days

Conventional Recipe
Bring aromatics listed below plus 2 tbl live oil to a boil and cut heat
Using a very hot broiler or blow torch, briefly color the shell
Cool water to 140 with ice
Add crab and turn on heat to lowest setting to roughly maintain 137 degrees for 40 minutes
Remove and eat immediately or put in plastic bag and chill for later use as per above

*Aromatics per crab: 1 inch piece of blanched leek, 1 Turkish bay leaf, ¼ teaspoon coriander, ¼ teaspoon dried tarragon.

I like to blanch the crab. clean it and then cut body into 1/4’s and toss with a mix of melted butter, olive oil, cognac, shallots, garlic and italian parsley. Roast at 500 degrees for 7-10min.

you roast the blanched, cleaned crab? fascinating.

the blanched crab is still mostly raw inside

Went we not supposed to eat Dungeness this year because for the red tide???

that has passed in Oregon and Washington and they are FAT with sweet meat due to the heat and later harvest.

Great I was just in Portland and passed on them because of the warning.

I NEVER buy seafood from Safeway but last Friday they had Dungeness on sale for $5.00 a pund. I’ve missed it this season as our season was cancelled but was stlll skeptical, but OMG I got a 2 pounder and it was extraordinary; sweet and meaty.Obvioiusly it would have had to some from the Pacific Northwest waters.

Totally agree with you on Safeway. I won’t even go in there.

prices here have been 5.95 to 6.99 for the 3 pounders. usually a dollar less a pound if you buy 3 or more or wholesale.