What's new in Chicago

Looking for some reco’s on what’s new in the city. My partner is coming to town and want to show him some highlights. Any thoughts ?

I assume you mean dinner? Maybe Parachute, The Blanchard, Green River, Maple an Ash. Iliana Regan’s new place Bunny the Microbakery is open but not sure if that is your speed.

George

I hated Parachute and think it would be a poor choice to discuss any business – very loud.

While not incredibly new, I think Intro might be a good choice. Very good food in a very comfortable room. They LEY guys just opened a new sushi bar right next to the restaurant and it’s supposed to be good but I haven’t been (going for Valentine’s Day).

is Maple and Ash better than Swift and Sons ?

I keep hearing great things about the Blanchard - live less than a block away and it always looks lovely in the evening … and it’s neat they are doing real classic french. Definitely on my list.

I just keep going back to Kitchen - for work and play events - can’t quite get enough of their bolognese or their wine list.

But I’d second Intro as a great option - the room and service are so good - and suspect the sushi bar is worth a visit.

Oh my God yes. S&S is a “poor man’s M&A.” Swift only has wet aged steaks…they have a crab cake the size of an english muffin (grotesque), and a deconstructed Boston Cream Pie (who goes to a steakhouse for a deconstructed Boston Cream Pie?). There simply is no comparison. Swift & Sons is “Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse in a hip environment” whereas Maple and Ash is the real deal. I still prefer RPM Steak to both of them, but M&A is light years ahead of Swift. That said, the GM at Swift is a wonderfully competent and great guy.

Oh my God yes. S&S is a “poor man’s M&A.” Swift only has wet aged steaks…they have a crab cake the size of an english muffin (grotesque), and a deconstructed Boston Cream Pie (who goes to a steakhouse for a deconstructed Boston Cream Pie?). There simply is no comparison. Swift & Sons is “Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse in a hip environment” whereas Maple and Ash is the real deal. I still prefer RPM Steak to both of them, but M&A is light years ahead of Swift. That said, the GM at Swift is a wonderfully competent and great guy.

Oh dear - this is disappointing - series of reviews of the Blanchard by very knowledgeable folks who were very not happy: LTHForum.com - The Blanchard

Read everything and I don’t get the same impression you did. Certainly there were a couple of bad reviews but they all had good things to say. Sounds like being a newer place they have some growing pains. I don’t quite understand you piling on with your post as you have never been… but that is why I almost never read online restaurant reviews.

I have not been but will definitely go as I have heard good things from people I trust instead of unknown people on the internet.

George

Not sure what “piling on” you’re mentioning. I had seconded a positive recommendation, being clear I had not been yet - and then discovered some negatives I thought it would be only fair to link in case helpful. I do happen to know the folks in those reviews and their involvement in Chicago food for years so when they report less positive experiences, I take them seriously. LTH is not yelp.

Hope you have a great meal.

I too, have heard good things about The Blanchard but have not been. Been to Maple & Ash a few times now and have been very, very happy. Good beverage program, great wine service, the steaks have been great. The seafood tower is excellent and the sundae service for dessert is a lot of fun.

JD

Thanks for the input and please keep it coming.

Want to check out The Blanchard as I love classic cuisine but probably will do that with my wife.

Thanks for the feedback on M&A. Heard good things. While steak will be the last thing I’m looking for. More what’s being served with steak.

Been to Intro a few times already and am a big fan.

I don’t know about new… But the elevated BYOB spots - 42 grams, Schwa, Goosefoot and El Ideas are a good representation of the Chicago scene.

I really liked Bar Marta but it’s probably more off he beaten path and casual than you’re looking for.

We ate a Blanchard during pre opening and I thought the food was spot on although the service (mostly slow pace) was a bit of a work in progress.

Nick,

New(ish) places I really enjoy. Salero is great as is Boho house. The Duck Inn in Pilsen. Fat Rice, Dove’s

Places that fly under the radar IMO 16 in the Trump is really killing it. I am always surprised at how many people have never been. Also Acadia.

Not sure when your friend is coming but as I am sure you know Alinea 2.0 opening late spring and Achatz’s Roister to open “soon”.

For drinks The Milk room. Really hard to get in to though.

George

Thanks some great selections here. Coming this week.

Probably leaning towards new american. The new menu at Bristol looks good.

I’ll give a brief update. Thursday we went to Bristol. A new menu I guess. Great service from both the waiter and manager. We bought 01 Chevillon LSG, 85 Gros Vosne Clos de Reas and 08 Rayas. All very good. The Chevillon was on point. Really good. The food was very good to excellent. A couple of small misteps but really good.

Friday we went to Maple and Ash. While the vibe there is not my scene the food was really outstanding. Prawns were perfectly cooked, ditto for the octopus and a killer foie. For entrees I had a short rib pot pie that was outstanding and my buddy loved his NY. We drank the 04 Monfortino which was ridunkulous. Obviously a large scaled wine with excellent balance. Minerality and anise dominate but again verry well balanced.

For what its worth, went to The Blanchard last week. The food was well done but from the time we arrived to the time we finished our mains it was over 2 hours. The wait staff was great, they tried, but the food just wasn’t coming out at a reasonable pace. The place was absolutely packed. At the end of the day, don’t book a full house if you can’t serve them appropriately. The place has had positive press but we’ll wait to return until the vibe settles down. By the way, $25.00 corkage and they were very nice about it. The only bad part was they placed the bottle on the other side of the room and the staff didn’t have the time to re-fill glasses. With very slow service this is especially irritating. We’ll go back but we won’t rush to do so.

JD

John - Thanks for the update. Sounds like they have some work to do re: service. Interestingly enough the Chef/Owner is always bragging on Facebook how many covers they do.

George

Nick - what is current corkage at both places?