Eating and Drinking in Sydney

I am headed to Sydney for Noma Australia in March. Starting to research other culinary and wine options. All suggestions welcome.

Harry’s Café de Wheels

OK - just once - when you are drunk

Well done on obtaining a reservation at Noma.

Sydney Morning Herald list of hatted establishments is a very good place to start.
Some favs include:-
Quay - what a view
Marque - mod French
Tetsuya’s - impeccable, mod Japanese
Bentley Restaurant & Bar

Thank you Kent.

What is the wine purchasing situation (for consumption when I am there) like in Sydney?

I am a bit out of touch Robert with Sydney retail.

Five Ways Cellars in Paddington has always had an interesting selection and excellent staff.
Best Cellars also is a very good independent.
Dan Murphys are a national chain owned by one of the Supermarket giants, but they do have a very good range and excellent prices.

I’d be aiming for Sepia as well. (Sepia has long wait lists, although for March you should be fine).
http://www.sepiarestaurant.com.au/about-us.html

Wines
In the city, Oakbarrel

Northbridge Cellars
http://www.veno.com.au/

Prince Wine Store
http://www.princewinestore.com.au/

Thank you, David.

For others who might be interested in this topic I came across this recent article from Rene Redzepi:

I made a reservation at Master.

Hi Robert,
Can you enlighten me about Master. I tried to book Noma the second tickets were released to no avail.

All I know is that it is small,l the Chef did a state/internship at Noma, Rene Redzepi recommended it and most importantly the menu and pictures of the food around the internet look good.

Sepia is very good. Bentley Bar and Restaurant is outstanding. The Bridge Room is one of the best restaurants in Australia. Golden Century is excellent for late night XO Pippies.

Love Tilly Devine is a cool little wine bar: http://www.lovetillydevine.com/
Lord Nelson Brewery is the oldest pub in Sydney I think. Cool place to grab a pint.
I had a great dinner at Rockpool Bar and Grill. It used to be a bank so it has an interesting layout inside.

Thanks Jeremy and William. I have reservation for Sepia. Love Tilly Devine looks greats.

We’ll be in Sydney and Melbourne later in the year as well, so this is great. I can start another thread for Melbourne.

If you guys are struggling for a place to eat etc in Sydney, and want something different in a casual offline at a byo restaurant with some interesting Aussie wines (Wendouree, Clonakilla, Rockford, Lakes Folly etc) I may be able to rustle up some people.

fwiw I asked a similar question a couple months ago… most has been mentioned here already tho.

From friends locally I got a couple more dining recommendations:

• Automata
  • Doyle’s at Watsons Bay
  • Bondi Breakers for fish and chips lunch
  • 3 Ducks Cafe if near Bronte
  • Benelong at Opera House

(note: I didn’t go to any of the five above… Attempted Benelong but was booked up).

[cheers.gif]

I have done my usual amount of exhaustive research and I thought I would post my list here for the benefit of others. From what I can tell so far Sydney is definitely one of the most exciting food destinations in the world. I have many reservations and will try to fit in as much as possible from the list.
Please let me know if I am missing anything or if you disagree with anything on the list.

Top Restaurants:

Bennelong
Quay
Rockpool
Momofuku Seiobo
Sepia

Mid-Tier / Casual Restaurants:

ACME
Automata - Clayton Wells former Sous Chef at Momofuku Seiobo, one of the most exciting restaurants in Australia
Bar Bros - excellent / chef worked at Quay and Michel Bras among other top places
Ester (some consider like Estela but even better)
Fratelli Paridiso (Great for a long lunch)
Lumi - also recommended by the Silvereye chefs
Master (former Noma Intern)
Missy French
Silvereye (new multimillion restaurant by NOMA alums) / Outstanding
Sixpenny - recommended by the Silvereyer chefs

Various Ethnic Cuisines:

Arabella (Lebanese)
Billy Kwong
Chat Chai
Din Tai Fung
Golden Century (Cantonese) - great late night spot / industry hang out / must order the xo pippies with fried vermicelli
Happy Chef (for Laksa in a food court)
Mamuak (Indonesian)
Maley Chinese Takeaway (for Laksa)
Moon Park (modern Korean with great winelist)
Mr Wongs (fancy dim sum, roast duck)
Portion (barbecue)
Spice I Am (Thai)
Spice Temple

Wine Bars / Bars:

10 William Street - some say it is the best wine bar in Sydney
Baxter Inn - good for whiskey drinks, downstairs hidden bar
Bar Brose (new winebar from ACME and Chef Analiese Gregory who has worked at Quay, Mugaritz and Michel Bras)
Love Tilley Devine
Monopole
This Must be the Place

Breakfast:

Boon Cafe
Bourke Street Bakery
Infinity Bakery, The Grounds of Alexandria
Room 10 Cafe - good for breakfast rice
Three Blue Ducks (traditional Aussie breakfast)

Coffee:

Artificer Specialty Coffee
Edition Coffee Roasters
Gumption by Coffe Alchemy
Single Origin Roasters

Other Food:

Carriage Works Farmers Market
Spice Alley

Hotels:

QT Sydney
The Langham
The Old Clare Hotel (Chippendale)

I haven’t been to Doyle’s for 20 years (they DO take American Express). The food was not memorable, but the water taxi back to Circle Quay at night is one of the most beautiful rides I’ve ever taken

Enjoy Noma,

We went there last month, a great experience!

A few more I’d add in:

Marque
Bentley
Tetsuyas
Est
Bridge Room
Sixpenny
Gastro Park