What are you gong to cook while stuck at home during Snowpocalypse?

I’m going to use up the last of the yeast that I have and make some experimental bread. I’ll try cooking it in a preheated Dutch oven for a change, as suggested in another thread. I think I’ll also make another Broccoli Onion Kugel, perhaps one regular with herbs and one spiced curry.

Matzoh Balls and Chicken Soup.

Starting on some chili, use a combination of ground beef and cubed stew beef.

Just finished a big dutch oven-full of chili. The way my wife likes it, with beans and green pepper. Used the dregs of a bottle of 1990 Pape Clement in it - it worked!

Harira - Moroccan lamb, chickpea and spinach soup using the recipe from the Ottolenghi cookbook. I like that one as it doesn’t use the extra fillers of pasta or rice.

Not part of snowmaggedon. Sympathy cooking. Scalloped potatoes with caramelized fennel and ham.
IMG_0780.jpg

A Flannery Hanger and roasted cauliflower.

Made a pressure cooker chicken stock earlier today.

I made braised short ribs with roasted brussels sprouts and potatoes.

Yesterday- homemade chicken noodle soup.

Tonight braised beef over polenta.
image.jpg

I ended up making two loaves of fresh bread and a broccoli, onion, garlic, mushroom kugel. I have step by step photos on the bread and will post later.

Random tip (which I used against yesterday to great effect) - say you want to make chili, but you don’t have all the ingredients to make the dried chili paste that’s common to all the best chili recipes. In that case, the Rick Bayless Taco Skillet Sauce, available for about $3 at only the finest mass-market supermarkets, will do a damn good job substituting, and permit you to make chili on short notice that’s better than 99% of what people can produce with nothing but some ground beef, onions, cumin and a can of chopped tomatoes (and beans, if you’re cooking for a heathen).

Another souper here–split pea with ham. Also a loaf of no-knead bread (half white, half whole wheat), a batch of hummus, and somewhat disappointing batch of vegan “chocolate chip pear blondie bites”. Other than my bundt cake at Christmas, which was killer, my experiments in vegan baking have left something to be desired texturally, although they don’t taste bad.

Today, a batch of baked oatmeal. Breakfast is now set for much of the week.

Braised beef on porcini polenta
image.jpg

A pot of Sunday sauce for me and a month’s worth of raw meatballs for the dogs.

Oh yum, I need to do something like that soon (a friend of my husband’s who runs a mill/flour business gave us some polenta that is supposed to be amazing).

I made Serious Eats’ “The Best Chili Ever.” Really delicious. And, wasn’t that bad to make.

If I correctly estimated the size of your dog, that must be, like, three meatballs.

I’ve made that chili a bunch of times, and I really like it, but:

• non food geek types sometimes don’t like it.
  • I’ve known for years that you have to add MSG to chili (in geology, where chili is an essential field food, we’d have annual chili cook offs and the winning chili always had MSG in the mix), but I don’t get eschewing adding the chemical and then adding a bunch of natural ingredients that are loaded with msg. Why not just add a boullion cube and be honest about it with yourself?

One meatball a day for the adult, a bit more for the growing puppy. So call it 2.5/day or about 75 meatballs. It takes about 3 hours between mixing the dry ingredients, blending the wet ingredients, grinding the meat, mixing it all up, forming meatballs and putting them 2/bag in the freezer.