The National Eater 38 List

Overall, I think it’s a strong list, mixing in high end cuisine with middlebrow and lowbrow favorites.

One quibble: I would not put Parachute on the list. The food was flavorful but inconsistent, while the ambience (uncomfortably loud) and service (not well trained on the food or wine list) were subpar.

In general I like the concept of a dining list that blends different price points and cuisines. It seems to work well for the LATimes 100 or the local Eater38. It seems tougher to do when one tries to cover the entire country with 38. In reality one can’t leave off really great places at the ultimate top-end, and really there must be 25 of those nationwide. I guess one could just allocate fewer spots to that type, but then one has to simply exclude places that are equals. Same at the low-end. It’s pretty tough to pick a dozen casual restaurant across the whole country. I’m lobbying for the national Eater100.

Wine-wise it’s embarrassing that one of L.A.'s place is touted for their natural wines ( Night&Market) and another (Trois Mec) doesn’t allow corkage.