Beef - The Marketing Hype

Have you noticed how we’re being sold a bill of goods on the greatness of grass fed beef? I don’t know what’s driving this latest bit of marketing hype, but I suspect is has something to do with the organic movement. For connoisseurs of the cow, we know there’s nothing that compares to corn fed beef (barring of course the unusual food menu supplied to cows supplying us with Kobe & Wagu beef), as it’s far more flavorful (greater marbling) and tender than the grass fed variety.

I hope Americans wake up to this flim-flam scam and start demanding more corn fed beef. I’m tired of going out to restaurants and spending big bucks on tough and bland steaks that come from grass fed cows.

Genuine grass fed beef is a different flavor. Most Americans are used to corn fed beef and prefer it to grass fed. But, grass fed means a lot of things and isn’t completely well-regulated (like many food terms).

-Al

Grass fed beef is supposedly more nutritious and generally the animal welfare is superior. Corn fed beef tastes sweeter and generally more tender.

I’ve had trouble justifying eating corn-fed beef ever since I read Michael Pollan’s article about his calf:

Supposedly higher antioxidants.

I prefer grass fed beef. It tastes like beef, not like butter. Give me a range fed Belted Galloway rib from Goodman any day over a feedlot steak from any American steakhouse. US restaurants are starting to serve good range fed steaks, too. I prefer to eat beef that has eaten grass, rather than medicated feed.

1 Kilo 45 day dry aged Belted Galloway rib steak. Exclusively grass fed in Devon. Neither bland nor tough:

I agree, grass fed tastes more like beef to me. But, I grew up helping to raise pastured beef cattle. These days, I enjoy either but they’re different tastes.

-Al

OP sounds like Donald Trump was hired as head of marketing for big beef. what an odd post.

I like tasting them side by side. The contrast is striking.

There’s a place for both, and certainly poor examples of both.

Obviously being fed corn will make the cows more fatty than if they were eating grass free range. The marbling will not be better, it might actually be the contrary depending on how fast the cow was raised.

Really an odd statement - “true connaisseurs blablabla” - I guess not!

Alain

Cows are meant to feed on grass. Grass fed beef is healthier, the balance of fats in the meat are healthier (omega 3’s vs omega 6’s) Grass fed beef stay healthier without the antibiotics since their bodies are at the right ph. These are facts not hype. Now, one can prefer the taste of corn fed beef or grass fed… but the claims are mostly facts not hype… grass fed beef is more expensive to raise… producers would prefer to raise feedlot cows… but they are reacting to the market. It is hardly a flim flam scam… if you don’t like grass fed beef… don’t order it.
And the organic movement isn’t a third column either…

Similar straw man argument to those trying to debunk that “organic produce tastes better.” Theres a lot more involved than the taste, which of course is subjective. As long as people are thinking more critically about what they eat, where it comes from, and how it’s produced, are we really going to complain? Vote with your dollars, the rest of us will too.

Donald Trump? Really, what does he have to do with this topic?! Has the Donald bought out Ted’s Montanan ranches and exchanging all his Buffalo for cows? [swearing.gif]

The fact is there’s a conscience and driven movement to promote grass fed beef. If unsavory additives have some consumers panties in a wad, logic would suggest that consumers put pressure on them to stop, but don’t substitute corn for grass, which can also contain fecal material, pesticides, urine and other unsavory elements.

I’m sure Mr. Kaplan’s Belted Galloway rib steak may acquit itself well on the flavor front. The problem is, how many consumers have access to both Galloway’s beef and that particular cut of steak? I would suspect, not many!

I guess at the end of the day it’s all about preferences. I would prefer it if steakhouses, restaurants, butcher et. al. gave us a choice and not drive us toward one option.

Chickens are meant to range free as well and eat grubs and bugs, which is why American eggs from battery farmed chickens have pale flavorless yolks, from the crap feed.

given the overwhelming ubiquity of corn-finished (all beef is grass fed), you shouldn’t have a problem finding what you want.

Huh? Can you provide a source for this assertion?

Doesn’t the feed have dye added to make the yolk coloured? The depth of colour of the yolk isn’t much of an indicator generally.

Yes grass is totally unnatural food for cows! :wink:

I cannot express any real knowledge on egg science, but I know when I’ve had farm fresh, small scale eggs the yolks are more of an orange color than a yellow. And yes, they taste better.