costco duck breasts

Anyone have any experience with the costco duck breast? They just showed up in my Costco and at $10.99/lb are considerably less expensive than other choices. Also as they are individually packaged I can cook at will. (Duck is one of the few cooked red meats I can eat now).

Milton are these fresh or frozen?

They are in the fresh section with the cheese and packaged prepared entrees. They are raw with a glaze of some description that you add during the final cook.

thanks I will look for them in Brooklyn NY

I noticed d’Artagnan duck confit at our Costco right before Xmas.

I’ve bought two or three different packaged duck breast items at my local SoCal Costcos. All were good. I don’t know if the item is just not a big seller or what, but their availability is only occasional and seemingly inconsistent.

Costco runs specials from time to time on d’Arganan products. We usually buy them. The duck breast and confit have been great Costco’s sale prices can’t be beat. The rest of the time, we buy directly from d’Artagnan when they are running specials. We have never found better magret in the U.S.

Had many times before. Not a fan of the glaze, but the meat is very good.

I did too and bought them. They are AWFUL. zero fat, terrible texture. The breast by contrast were half fat, half meat and the texture was tough.

I usually buy my duck breasts at Hudson Valley Foie Gras and the quality is great

I usually shoot my ducks but mom was buying :slight_smile:

plz send me some extra duck paul :smiley:

You in LA Feb 17 or 18th? I’ll bring some down.

yesh. yesh i am. you know how to reach me!

First duck I got was a banded Drake Mallard, kinda like a hole in one I hear.

Those are really good, and humungous

I made some brie, duck confit, and dried cherry pizzas over the holidays with the Costco confit and for the price it was fine. But Paul is correct that it was kind of stringy and really lacked fat.

Grilled a couple of the Hudson Valley magrets last night and they were fantastic! They were huge yet still tender. I really wish they were more readily available out West. We purchased ours at Ottomanelli’s on Bleeker. They had both the Hudson Valley and D’Artagnan and the HV looked better to me.

I am going to take Suzanne’s advice and check out potentially ordering on line…Hopefully, they can ship and the cost is not too high.

Cheers!
Marshall [wow.gif]

Same here. I just buy them at the market.

That is amazing. Our experience with d’Artagnan confit and magret is quite the opposite. Just last Thursday we used the confit to make cassoulet. It was amazing. The magret have always had just the right amount of fat and one easily feeds two people if not three. Sounds like QC let them down. We have also bought from Hudson Valley with great success too. The lady that actually made the cassoulet at our house is a friend who lives in La Rochelle, France. She was very excited about the quality of all the ingredients. We bought the cassoulet “kit” so that we would have everything we need. The beans were outstanding as well. Much better than the smaller ones we find in our local stores.

I find this thread deeply disturbing.