Chefsteps New Sous Vide Product - Joule

Anyone have any insight on this? Nearly pulled the trigger on a Sansaire or Anova over Christmas but everywhere was sold out. Looks interesting but can’t find any really helpful information on the web (maybe because no one has one in hand yet).

$100 off for orders until January 15; product won’t ship until at least May.

I saw this and I can’t tell why I would spend the extra money over an Anova or Sansaire other than the “chefsteps” name. Which doesn’t really mean much hardware wise

Thanks, Charlie. If I get one I think I may just go for the Anova. However this has higher wattage 1100 versus 800 so that could be a consideration. I do think the lack of controls and readout a on this is a negative.

that’s also to be taken into consideration, but I swapped from 1100 to 800 and haven’t noticed anything.

I watched the based website promo- I have the 1100 Watt Anova (love it).

Here are the possible differentiators I see…

1. This is much lower profile/slimmer than the Anova I have. Appears to work in lower water levels- regular size pots better. The Anova 1100 really needs a taller container and is a bit top heavy. Likewise for storage the Anova is a bit more cumbersome/bulky

2. It has an app- which I can see as all three- irrelevant,empowering, and limiting. Actually I use an app too- A one-note in which I document temps and times for things I do, and keep links to recipes and resources. However it does take me 60 seconds to dial up the right temp/time on the Anova. The one click recipes are cool AS LONG AS you are happy with the temps/times of the default recipes. Otherwise the whole recipe thing is sort of fluff- A sous vide recipe is two settings- Temp and Time. And you can use the built in timer of any phone just as easy (OK Google, Hey Siri, Cortana- set a timer for 35 minutes)

I have had the Sansaire and love it. I had never even considered the wattage to be an issue because the wand gets water to your set temp and keeps it there. I’m not sure if the ANOVA was out when I originally purchased the Sansaire (via their kickstarter campaign). Next door neighbor has the ANOVA though and they seem pretty comparable IMO. I personally like the Sansaire interface better than the ANOVA (Sansaire is very apple ipod-esque in its simplicity).

Saw the chefsteps ads. Love their recipes but I can’t think of a single benefit their product offers. The connection with an app seems somewhat interesting but I can’t think of a situation where I would even use that

Glad I am not the only one who did not fully understand why ChefSteps felt they needed to introduce a sous vide cooker. Seems odd that a 3 year old website, strongly devoted to sous vide took this long to market their own product. Maybe they have better reach, but I would imagine that the sous vide market is pretty saturated at this point.

Also, I find their temperatures to be a little lower than I like, so I doubt the app would be of much use.