Pinot Noir/Food Pairing

I wanted ask people what foods they think pairs well with pinot noir? FYI-I tend to drink lower alcohol pinots.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

pigeon

squab too.

Anything in the wild game category is my favorite, venison, elk, buffalo, etc. Lean game meats pair great with Pinot Noir. Salmon and Lamb are my other favorites.

Quail
Simple roast chicken
Manchego

Duck

1 Like

what region?

Mainly Oregon, I have a few bottles from NZ, Burgundy, and California. So I’m looking for dishes that will pair with Oregon pinot. If you have any good recipes you’d be wiling to share that would be wonderful!

Thanks

There’s a Greek place near me that makes a feta angus burger. It is amazing with California Pinot.

Mushrooms
Truffle salt

Duck
Beef Bourguignon

Suckling pig…

Bread and butter
Vegetables
Mushrooms
Cheese
Charcuterie
Seafood
Chicken
Pork
Game
Beef
Pate/terrine/mousse
Nuts

Depends on the Pinot and the dish.

as most have said above, the finer Oregon examples pair really well with mushrooms, especially morels, when in season. Right now you have truffles. The more oak influenced pair well with Matsutake but we’re done for the season there unless you froze some (not criminal).

Generally, I like lighter, leaner meats and preparations with Oregon Pinot, so things like farmed pheasant, pork or veal but nothing with smoke or a hard char. I’ve paired successfully with raw beef but be careful of the acidity of any accoutrements.

Licorice and olive in light doses can help extend the wine’s experience too.

Any other recommendations for food pairings/recipes with Oregon pinot noir?

Thanks,

Doug Uno

Mushroom risotto
Squab
Roast Chicken & Pork with light marinades
Salmon
Cantonese Chinese Cuisine (Not Szechuan Chinese food)

Once had an epic combo of in butter baked smoked eal, green apple and rosemary with a german Pinot.

I further agree on the mushrooms and other food that has an earthy taste to it. Also cold meats do well with pinot.