Best way to cook wagyu?

I ordered some A5 Miyazaki Wagyu from DeBragga and I’m suddenly gripped by the fear that none of usual steak cooking techniques will be appropriate. I’ve never cooked steak with this high a fat content before.

Recommendations?

Shabu shabu.

Boiled?

They were searing it at La Fete du Champagne and that seemed to work well though I have no idea for how long or at what heat.

I like to start slow and melt the fat with these types of meats, but I might be in the minority. Oven at 300ish, then finish with a sear. Or cold pan, slowly melt, finish with a sear (duck breast technique). Or sear first, then slow down to melt. (Trickiest)

I know folks love their rare steaks, but fattier cuts just don’t taste good to me unless they are closer to medium.

I’ve only spent three weeks in Japan but my observation was that the very best beef wasn’t really used for steaks (apart from a few modern places) but was sliced thinly and used for Shabu Shabu or sukiyaki.

It might not be very easy to do at home though.

it depends on the cut and thickness.

12oz ribeye and strip

Looks like a pretty thin cut from the picture but I won’t know for sure until they arrive (I ordered for December).

so a thin cut like that you should just heat up a cast iron pan as hot as possible and just hard sear on both sides. no oil in the pan. pre-salt for at least 2 hours. you want it crispy on the outside and medium in the center. let it rest on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, then just slice across the grain.

hard sear for about how long, or to what internal temp?

it will be time to tape over the fire alarm, open all the windows and move the dogs into the bedroom with a closed door.

In Japan, at least, there’s no such thing as a thick wagyu steak. Only by going to a special butcher and working your way through several layers of management will they agree to cut it even slightly thick. And even then, it’s weird. Honestly, a really thick piece wouldn’t be appetizing, in my opinion, so I hope it’s relatively thin. I’d go with yaacov’s method, and hit it with a bit of fairly neutral vinegar after cooking. Just a few drops, but it makes a huge difference.

I’ve been lucky enough to have a pretty constant stream of a-5/10 wagyu at wholesale pricing that I get to dictate thickness. I typically go for an inch thickness.

The issue with thicker slices is you don’t render down the insane marbling before you overlook the exterior with a hot pan sear.

What I find works well is to basically fry the steak in its own fat at medium high heat. Constantly flip to make sure you don’t over cook the exterior. It’ll generate a lot of fat drippings so if the heat is too high, the steak almost curls up a bit like bacon.

Personally Ive had the most success just grilling it, as the fat drips away. But that’s probably not a possibility for you inndecember.

No grill, condo :frowning:

3 to 4 oz seems to be the max I can eat. It is just so rich! Confirmed again this weekend when I was at Berns. I never actually cooked any but I would go the cast iron pan route if I did it.

I’m thinking I’ll cut the steaks in half (or even thirds) which will both help avoid overload and give me multiple chances to get it right.

If it’s just the two of you eating and you’re not eating any other meat, 12ozs isn’t too much.

sear on himalayan salt block

Blowtorch it. Seared outside, rare-ish inside. Heaven…

Post a fake wine pic on Instagram and cook it in the flames of your reputation.

Disagree about rare or even rare-ish. You’ll end up with fat globules. Medium is the way to go for anything that marbled.

1 Like

You owe me a dry cleaning bill for a coffee stained shirt…