Great eats in or near Carlsbad?

My wife and I, along with our 13 yo daughter are headed to Carlsbad for a week off.

Any great places to eat in that area?

For a fun casual lunch or dinner the Pizza Port in Carlsbad has superb pizza and locally brewed beer.

Not sure what you are looking for, but one of the best meals I’ve had recently was a the Addison in the Grand Del Mar. Definitely fine dining, which may or may not be what you are looking for with a 13 year old. But if you are looking for a special night out, this place was great. I had a foie gras appetizer with passionfruit that was easily my best dish of the year.

Yes, I am looking for fine dining for one night for sure. Also, the best Mexican, Chinese, Vietnamese, Asian Fusion, Tapas, or whatever is interesting. We live in the woods so our dining out choices approach 0.

Oh, I miss Carlsbad. It’s been 21 years since I lived there so I couldn’t offer you much info as all my favorite old haunts are probably long gong. There used to be a German place in the hills just east of town that was a special treat for me, Fidels had cold beer, Dini’s offered the “locals” a discount, the Sand Bar was always trouble, all probably long gone. Beautiful town to live in for my early 20’s. The tulip fields were amazing, but I think they are Lego land now… I ran for mayor in '94, but didn’t win. Have a great time and please write a note of your trip!

Paon in Carlsbad is a nice wine restaurant. To the north in Oceanside is a nice gastropub called Flying Pig where you are also sample some nice local beers. To the south is a small fish taco/ seafood restaurant called Fish 101 that’s nice. For amazing authentic sushi, try Kaito in Encinitas and only sit at the sushi bar.

For upscale I like Market (less $$ than Addison). Encinitas or Leucadia for Mexican (Hagos or Cancun specialize in seafood). The Encinitas Ale House and Societe are musts if you want beer, Pizza Port is also good. Second Kaito.

you like prime rib? Koko Beach has a good fresh salad, fresh bread, good baked potato, and wonderful prime rib in a throwback setting–fun place.

Vigilucci’s on State St has excellent Italian food, really a good place.

Paon is indeed pretty good.

Saturday there is a tiny Farmer’s Mkt near the Grand Deli–which incidentally has a great breakfast.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I’ll let you know if anything is outstanding.

German place is TipTop Market off Palomar Airport Road, near the Flower Fields that are still there but not in bloom now. Good but unexciting German fare, but that is redundant, no?

Andrew–any followup?

Phil’s Barbecue is in Vista, about 20 minutes East along Highway 78. Not the best in SoCal but pretty darn good.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and sorry for the delay in following up.

We made it to:
Paon - Delicious escargo, Seared Tuna and Short Ribs. Not tops on QPR, but the Q was still high. My daughter did not enjoy herself. She got kind of mad that the menu was hard for her to understand. I think she was too hungry.
Kaito - This place is the real deal. The fish was top notch and I love the not fancy setting.
Cancun - I would have never gone to this place if not for your suggestions. I don’t normally get my Mexican at a gas station. The Sea Bass was great. Nice folks too.

We went as far as the San Diego Museum of Art and found a good place to eat without your help. Hard to believe, I know. Cucina Urbana - http://www.urbankitchengroup.com/cucina-urbana-bankers-hill/dinner-menu/

This was the best overall meal of the trip. The atmosphere was comfortable for all 3 of us, and the food was great. The polenta board starter was very nice, as was my lamb shank. I don’t usually rate a “chain” so well, but this was very good. Nice service too!