Making truffle oil

The consensus opinion seems to be that most, if not all, commercial truffle oils are bogus (no actual truffle used). If I could afford and get a small truffle, how hard/worthwhile would it be to make my own, and how long could I expect it to last? Is it simply a matter of putting a piece of truffle in a jar or bottle of olive oil? Do you remove the truffle when the oil is sufficiently infused with aroma and flavor?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

FWIW I think truffle oils (or at least the ones I’ve tried) do a very decent job of mimicking the flavour. We also buy truffle pastes, pate etc. and find them quite flexible, but often need to be eaten inside the week of opening.

I’ll still buy the real thing when available, but for the rest of the year, I’m happy to use the above.

I would have concerns about botulism for the same reasons that homemade garlic oil is a bad idea.

Eat your truffle and enjoy it in its full glory. Truffle oil, even using real truffle, won’t ever cut it.

Just buy a high quality oil. Tartufi Jimmy makes a good one. Good on popcorn!

The UK based supermarket Marks & Spencer have started selling truffle flavoured crisps, and I have to say they are pretty decent - so much so that the other crisps in the range (EVOO) sit there neatly on the shelves next to the gaping hole where the truffle crisps should be.

I make, use and prefer truffle salt, fwiw. longer shelf life.

Agree 100%.

I read once that the truffle aroma compounds are quite unstable and degrade very quickly, which is why all packaged forms use some substitute compound.

That said, they can be quite satisfying. And, for anyone who has forked out big bucks for a truffle that turned out to have little flavor, the oils are pleasantly dependable.