Dungeness crab warning

This sucks:

Bruce

Wow. That’s disappointing.

It’s happened before. It will happen again. It would be a disappointment if we didn’t have crab for Christmas Cioppino though.

We had this late last season in Oregon, as well as the more mild “don’t eat the tomalley.” It shortened razor clam season too, boo.

No word down here yet but I will inquire. Usually our opening is ~ Dec 1.

Don’t worry. Cioppino is red anyway. You won’t notice it.

:frowning: love me some Dungeness crab. Does this apply to all crab along the coast? I see Rock crab on the list

Is this because of The Blob?

You’ve never had my Cioppino.

Brian, User a deeper vessel and you won’t spill all the broth on the floor next time.

I went out for sushi Sunday night. Felt like crap Monday all day. My wife commented that we shared everything and maybe it was the high octane Aubert and Brewer-Clifton talking But then, when we read the story this morning, we remembered that I bogarted the Dungeness item. Hmmmmm??

Can we issue a statewide warning for Brian’s Cioppino?

[rofl.gif]

Sounds like it’s time for you Left Coasters to learn the joy of the superior blue crab. Or, I hear that you can get fresh King Crab out there [berserker.gif]

John, we eat Cioppino with our hands. The broth is merely medium to cook the fish in.

We are waiting on local tests being done over the next 2 weeks. Initially testing was equivocal and certain crab beds will definitely be closed this winter. Closures may be somewhat checkerboard from Santa Barbara to WA St.

Ftw

Dungeness Season hasn’t opened yet, even for sport fisherman. Yours was either last year frozen or poached.

After having fresh blue crab I am ruined on dungeness forever.

Wait, you mid-westerners get blue crab from Lake Superior?
I actually VERY slightly prefer the texture of blue crab. But, flavor-wise, fresh of each makes for a pretty close battle, and Dungeness are easier to eat/pick.

Certainly easier to pick, but I like long crab sessions. Usually my family leaves half way through, but then I’m left to my crabs in solace. There is something meditative about attacking a pile of blues in silence