Recent Chicago Eats

I was in Chicago for 10 days on business in October and here are some recent eats:
Bom Bolla- From the Pops for Champagne group…this is a cava and tapas bar in wicker park. Great list of cavas by the glass and really good authentic modern spanish tapas.
Dove’s Lunceonette- Outstanding high quality throwback diner type of restaurant. In Wicker Park. If i lived near here, I would eat here all the time.
Bavette’s- Great food, atmosphere and service. Really well made old fashioneds. Steak frites are great.
Publican Quality Meats- West loop. Went twice for lunch. I would go here every day if i could. Outstanding sandwiches.
Little Goat Diner- really nice little lunch menu. High quality comfort food.
Au Cheval- In my opinion this is the best burger in America.

I gotta say, that is one great burger at Au Cheval. Maybe the best I’ve ever had. My wife had the fried bologna and loved it. Agree on Bavette’s ,too.

JD

Agree on all of the above although not been to Born Bolla yet. Another couple I would recommend in this genre are Salero and Bohemian House.

George

I was able to stop by Publican during my shirt visit a month ago. While initially dismissive of their layout, I found the food to be nothing short of amazing. Au Cheval was incredible as well.

If one eats at Au Cheval weekly what is the normal life expectancy of this lucky person?

Who cares? You’ve lived well.

Reminds me of a great Hunter S. Thompson quote:

"Life should not be a journey with the intention of arriving safely to the grave in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broad-side in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly worn out, totally used up, and loudly proclaiming “WOW, what a ride”.

Is there some good cheese on that burger?

Yes, cheese on that burger. And thick cut bacon. And a soft egg.

JD

6 blocks west of the river (Halsted) on Randolph. Brace yourself for a good, long wait

The good news is that it’s a very popular area. If you’re going to wait, Haymarket is catty-corner from Au Cheval and they have a pretty nice beer selection.

Or Maude’s (owned by the same group as Au Cheval) down the block. $3 bourbon shots

The bar area at Maude’s can get crowded, which is why I prefer Haymarket. Very different vibe too, with the latter being a lot less of a scene.

I don’t really like Haymarket or Lone Wolf…i think the best spot for a drink while waiting on Au Cheval is the Fox Bar in the Soho house.

Know the bartender at Soho. He quit. Rightfully so. Their CS sucks. IMO.

George

This thread reminds me of why I try and avoid the west loop as a whole. Aside from a few restaurants, it’s expensive, overrated, and filled with “suburban tourists”.

I could pull many specific examples, but I fear I will start a firestorm!

[snort.gif]

More room for me. There are some great spots in the West Loop. You are poorer if you avoid it, although it can be a pain to get resos.

What the heck is a suburban tourist?? Someone from Lisle or Naperville? How are they any different than the downtown dwellers?? Honestly, knowing some of each, you’re all pretty similar, and I don’t mean it in a bad way.

Having lived in both the City and the Suburbs. You would be shocked at how many people that live in the suburbs never go in to the city. There are many that are afraid or just never go. When these people from Lisle and Naperville are in the city they act just like a tourist from Spokane or Omaha would hence the term. They can usually all be found in the very touristy areas.

George

Plenty of city folks rarely get to the suburbs too. They’re not considered “tourists”, they’re just considered “smart”.