Need recommendation for Manhattan restaurant

Looking for some help with a Manhattan restaurant for 4 people next Saturday night where we can BYOB 3-4 bottles. Figure White Burgundy, then Pinot or Burgundy, then Bordeaux or Cab.
Midtown/Uptown preferred.

Want good food and service but want to be able to open our wines. Celebrating 2 50th birthdays.

Made ressie at Brasserie 8-1/2 based on reading some other forums/threads on WB. Any other suggestions?

La Mangeoire is wine friendly and better than Brasserie 8-1/2

The Modern has pretty reasonable corkage and great food (in the bar room or restaurant), though I’m not sure if they have a bottle limit.

Amali on upper east side, good food and no corkage if you have interesting wines.

You gotta love these guys.

Corkage Policy
We do not charge corkage so long as you volunteer to share a glass of a wine that is unique or of exceptional quality. Please email frankie@amalinyc.com in advance if you have any questions as it is by its nature a case by case and situational decision. As a general guideline, we do not waive corkage for wines that are currently available in retail stores.

The decision to waive corkage is within our discretion. These should be wines from people’s personal collections and not readily available in a store but only on the secondary market (if at all). So, for example, a ten year old village level burgundy or a small production from California you bought on your honeymoon that doesn’t distribute to New York would likely qualify.

The key terms are unique or exceptional - not simply expensive. The current vintage of Opus One would not qualify under the policy even though it is of exceptional quality because it is readily purchased at Sherry Lehman a block away.

The only time we politely ask not to open a qualifying wine is if we have that exact wine (vintage and cuvee) on the list.

It is always a somewhat situational decision until we get to know a customer. Once we get to know a customer, we begin to simply take their word for the wine and waive any need for advance notice.
In addition, depending on the amount of bottles you bring and the of level of service/glassware you require, we may request extra gratuity for the staff (in an amount at your discretion).

Once you bring in your qualifying wine, we only ask that you share a taste of your wine with the sommelier and service staff so that we may better our palates and our wine list.

There’s always Peking Duck House Midtown

“Situational decision.” New one on me…

… But you have to email them for the wine list?

That is weird, isn’t it?

I do not like the service or the food at Amali. La Mangeoire is a good choice.

Curious what they mean by “share a taste with sommelier and service staff”. A teaspoonful? A full pour? Somewhere in between? Any insight?

I do see that they will charge $45 per bottle if the bottle doesn’t “qualify” for free corkage. Maybe it is a selfish attitude but I might want to pay $45 than share the bottle.

I think Amali’s policy is just stating openly what is good manners and respectful for BYO in general - bring something worthy and offer a taste. I’ve only eaten there once, but it was a very nice experience and I would go back.

Food has been variable for me but they’ve been very nice about the policy. My main problem is the noise level in the front room, the back room is much better.

I agree on La Mangeoire.

Been to Amali once, was a good experience.

I think they’re trying to do something nice and communal (free corkage if you share a glass and it’s a good wine), just doing a really clunky/lousy job trying to explain it.

-DR

If you like Italian Upscale, try Lattanzi’s I think its on 49th. Also Angelos is incredible.

Thanks all for the recommendations. Ended up at Brasserie 8-1/2. Food was good and had a fun night catching up with friends. And 3 bottles BYO with the $25 corkage fee.