The Apocalypse - Bourdain Market

Just ran across this article posted last month on Eater.com:

The irony is mind bending.

I agree. Ironic and hypocritical.

… but he assures us it will all be “authentic”

You’ll have to clue me in on the cynicism. My understanding is the project is most similar in style to Mercado Boqueria. I do not see that as a bad thing. Tony has given love to international food markets for years. I see no irony.

On the other hand, I kind of see Manhattan as one big market already. It’s just all spread out by subway rides.

What I don’t like about Bourdain (and trust me, I like his “message”) is that he cultivated, and still cultivates, this bad-boy/anti-establishment in th restaurant world image and yet he sold out YEARS ago. While at the same time railing against others in the industry that “sold out” as well. That’s where the hypocrisy lies.

My irony meter must be busted. What should be doing that would not be ironic?

Best comment is first comment:

Vince Clortho

Funny to see this grotesquerie given his show’s stock in trade is anti-development mewling. Something to keep in mind next time he retires to his fainting couch over the potential of a W Hotel in Havana.

Keep cashing those checks Tony!

It won’t work. No natural foot traffic. Getting to that part of town is really difficult. I don’t believe there are enough people that will travel to a ‘food destination’.

It just might work if there is parking available. Lot’s of people with cars in NYC.
Also, Chelsea Market is packed with tourists bet 8th and 9th Aves

4 blocks from the whitney, the standard, the highline, etc. Gotham West seems to be doing OK and that’s not near anything except the Intrepid and Circle Line.

One would suppose the restaurant will feature wines from MI.

Agreed, I’m still a fan but found hypocrisy in his stand up routine. Railed hard against sell outs despite him pulling off that NBC chef themed American Idol show. Goes at his peers for eating shit when he east as shitty on some of his shows.

i don’t care about all that irony crap. i can’t wait to eat all the food

Maybe it will be as “good” as the equally hyped market in the World Financial Center. “Can’t” wait.

Well we just don’t see it the same way. I see Tony still doing things trying to make a difference. Those he admonishes I see as pimps.

And how could you possibly have an anti-development argument. It’s friggin Manhattan, not a Johnny Garlic’s in Bangkok.

L’District? I bought great french butter there and a killer piece of halibut filet- super fresh for $20.00lb. Don’t knock it.

Where you can find Guy Fieri pimping his “sauce” as well.

Again, Bourdain’s message and his actions differ…that’s all.

Right. The issue isn’t the commercialization of Manhattan. The issue is that the acerbic critic of the Disnification of dining is…Disnifying dining.

It’s like Gandhi marketing a line of official Gandhi merchandise. You wouldn’t say “well, lots of famous people lend their names to products”

This is presumptuous considering they stress authenticity. Why not just call him a liar and a hypocrit? You’re halfway there.

Winning.